XVII

Y/N's POV
Word Count: 937

     I had to make everything up to Max. I wanted to think about Preston and to consider what I felt about him, but there just wasn't time. What I knew for sure, however, was what I was feeling about Max. So, that was what I needed to act on.
     Before I left the counselors' office, I made sure that I put the ice pack back into the fridge. After that, I was off to find Max.
     I didn't plan out what I was going to tell him. I had decided on a whim that I wanted to just start over, back to square one. I wanted to put the hectic first few weeks of camp behind us, and I just wanted to try and be his friend again. I didn't feel ready for a relationship. I wanted to just start back as friends, and then hopefully build from there. It was the only way I could think of to fix the current situation.

Max was sitting on a log over by the science camp. He wasn't doing anything, and nobody was sitting near him, so this was my chance. I put my hands in my pockets. I walked over and sat beside him. "What do you want, little shit?", he asked. I was taken aback. Normally, when he called me that, it was more or less playful. It had felt aggressive this time.
Or maybe it wasn't aggressive. Maybe it was just defensive. He didn't want me to ask questions about what happened, or so I assumed, anyway. "H-Hi, Max.", I muttered. The sudden surprise of such a defensive greeting had left me sheepish. "Uh, well, how do you feel about maybe just starting over?"
Max scooted away and rolled his eyes. I bit my lip. I felt a little hurt. "And what the fuck is that supposed to mean? What, do you want me to hit the reset button? Well shit! I forgot that it didn't exist!", Max retorted.
My hands were sweating profusely. "I-I...", I trailed. How do I word this? "That's not what I meant. I just, um, I meant that we could put these first couple of weeks behind us."
Max turned to face me. He scooted a little bit closer. Good, okay, he's actually listening now. I've learned to read his body language after the first few weeks of being here. "Okay, and how would we do that?", he sassed. I noticed his sarcastic undertone. He still had his little wall up. I might've had his attention, but he wasn't sold on my little proposal yet.
"Well, we could just be okay again?", I asked. I didn't meant for it to be a question, but it sort of came out that way. "I'm just saying, why don't we go on a walk or do you something that you like to do? Maybe we could just talk again, like we did in the beginning."
Maybe my idea was stupid, but it was worth a shot. "Still don't know what the Hell you're talking about.", Max denied. He was clearly thinking about what I'd said. He even had his hands stroking his chin.
I knew he couldn't deny an example. "The first day, I think it was.", I started. He looked to me with big eyes, he was listening. "When we went out by the lake, and you got me coffee. And we just sort of sat there and talked about who knows what. I-I sort of miss that. Well, I, um, I actually really miss that. I want to be like that again."
I didn't think I was going to get emotional over this, but talking about it out loud reminded me of how much it hurt me. Everything between us has spiraled out of control, and I just wanted moments like those again.
For some reason, he turned to face forward. For a moment, he buried his face in his hands. "Y/N?" He brought his head back up again, facing me. He took a breath. "I-I've got something to say.", he confessed. Oh God. Not today. "I wasn't being nice to you. I was going to throw you in the lake. B-But, then I didn't."
I raised a brow. "You didn't?", I repeated. "And why didn't you?"
Max shook his head. "I don't know.", he sighed. "I didn't want to. I went back on it."
That was it. That was the point. "But why did you go back on it?," I pressed.
He clasped his hands together. He took another breath. "Because I decided I cared about you.", he whispered. He scratched the back of his neck. "Y-You're still a little shit, though."
That was the Max I remembered. "I know." Things were starting to finally turn around.
__________________________
A/N - Okay guys, sorry this one had to be another shortie. I had a three hour long tag day for Band today, and I was crunched for time. However, while this chapter is short, it's still pretty good. Actually, it might be my favorite? I don't know, but I personally thought it was kind of cute. ☁️

Comment Question of the Chapter:

Thoughts on the new Camp Camp episode? I won't spoil anything, but I'll just say towards the end when David was (okay you know when crap started hitting the fan a little) I started freaking out and like I felt insanely sad for David. But idk, he's grown so freaking strong throughout the series and he's just developed so darn well and please protect him at all costs. <3

 <3