Gotta Keep Going

TW.

~~~

The view into the city is breathtaking from this large window in this apartment. I've never seen it from this angle and I could definitely get used to this.

"I'll let you guys get a good look of it while I go get the application from my car!" The realtor says to my mother, my best friends Candi and Thembi, and I. I smile at her and she walks towards the front door.

"Mommy, do you like it?" I ask her as I turn to face her. She chuckles and nods. "Well, yes, but I'm not the one that's supposed to like it, you are." She says causing me to giggle.

Day 5 of apartment hunting and I'm over it, but I think this is the one. It's not too expensive and it's really spacious. I'll have to go sleep on it because I don't want to rush into anything either.

"Candi? Thembi?" I ask and they laugh. "I definitely love it. As soon as I walked in, I liked it." Thembi says with a smile and Candi agrees with her.

"After this you guys need to stay over because I have something I want to talk to all of you about." I tell them and they nod. Candi and Thembi are the first two people I thought of when Mrs. Knowles mentioned witnesses, but as for my Mom, I don't really want to get her too involved in the case and stuff.

We all turn towards the front door once we hear it shut and we see the realtor coming over to us with some paperwork in her hands.

"So, this is the application. It's about 2/3 pages long. You can bring it by my office whenever you finish filling it out!" She smiles and I take the papers out of her hand while I smile back. "Okay, thank you so much!" I tell her and we all say a couple goodbyes before heading back to Safaree and I's place.

When we make it in, we all make ourselves comfortable in the living room. They wait for me to speak so I just sigh deeply and pout.

"I had my appointment with my lawyer recently and it wasn't anything major. She understood how difficult it was for me to even be there. I told her everything... from beginning to end. Um, she said that in order to have a strong case we need witnesses or just people that suspected something was going on between Safaree and I so they can go on trial. I was hoping that," I pause and look down at my nails. I've been friends with Candi and Thembi for YEARS and this is my mother in the room so I don't know why it's hard to ask this of them.

"Yes, I'll do it, Onika." I go wide eyed and look up, seeing all 3 of them give me a small smile, but it was Candi that spoke up. "I'll do it too, Nic." I hear Thembi say and I smile at her.

"Mommy, I don't want you to be too involved in the case, so you don't have to do it. I'd rather just have you there as a support system-" I'm cut off by my mother shushing me. "I'm going to do it, Onika." She says and takes my hand into hers.

I smile. "My next appointment with her is tomorrow and I don't know if she would want you guys there with us, so I'll text her and ask then let you guys know." I smile nervously and feel my mom stroke the back of my hand with her thumb.

After a couple of hours of just unwinding and me getting a couple good pep talks from the most important women in my life, they leave. The first thing I decided to do is get in the shower so I can relax with all this going on.

I left Safaree after years of abuse, I'm taking him to court, and I'm about to get my own place. I feel good... just not good enough. I don't know if it's because he's basically still free and maybe I just need to hear that he was found guilty or if maybe I felt that once I got away from him it would all be peaches and cream. It's not.