Chapter seventeen:

When I woke up, I didn't feel dizzy. I didn't know how long I slept, but it felt good. Mom was already awake. She smiled. Then she led me back to the kitchen to finish my oatmeal. I ate it as I watched T.V. on the couch. I looked at the time and it was 10 o'clock. If I were at school, I'd be at Honors History. Then, I would be at lunch. I wondered if my teachers noticed my absence so far. Lauren hasn't texted me. Possibly she's sick, too, or else she would've asked me where I was. But she didn't. Besides, it was rare for Lauren to miss school or get sick.

Mom took my bowl away and began to wash it. "Abby, honey, you want anything else?" she asked.

"No, thanks," I said. "Mom, I need to go to the bathroom."

"Let me help you," Mom said, who was already done washing, and was rushing over to me. She helped me stand up.

"Can you wait outside?" I asked.

Just as I said that, Mom's phone rang.

"That must be Tony. I'll take this call, and I'll be right back, okay?" Mom hurried and followed the sound of her phone.

I realized I hadn't changed my pad since the fainting. I reached to the sink cabinet and slowly took out a pad. I replaced the old pad with the new one I just took out and put it on.

"Abigail! Abigail!" I hear faintly.

My eyes opened and my gaze fixed upon my mother. Mom had me in her arms as she held her phone up to her ear. She was crying.

"Yes? Hello, it's my daughter, she fainted! She's seventeen... we live at 107 E. Stonebridge Ave... She's-- she's sweating... Yes, she's conscious. She's so weak, and she looks so confused!" Mom wailed.
"Thank you, please, hurry!"

Mom hanged up and dropped her phone. Her tears dropped to my face.

"Who did... you... call... ?" I mumbled.

"911. Honey, I had to!" Mom cried. She kissed my forehead. "Oh, my baby..."

It didn't take long for sirens to sound in the distance.

"They're here! Honey, I'm sorry, I have to open the door," she said as she reluctantly let go of me and run out the bathroom.

I didn't want her to leave. "Mom... Mom!"

I hear the front door open, and my mother hollering, "In the bathroom! Hurry!"

Two buff men, followed by a woman, came in with large cases.

"Abigail? We're here to help you," said the woman, setting her case down. "What happened?"

"I fainted," I said.

"The bathroom's too small. We should examine her someplace else," the woman told the man beside her.

"The hallway?" the man asked, turning to my mother.

"I'll get a chair," Mom said, hurrying off.

The man turned back to me. "Can you stand?"

"I can try," I mumbled.

"Come." The woman held her hand out. I grabbed them.

With the woman's hands on my waist, I made my way to the chair my mother set out for me. I sat on the chair, with my mother standing by, and the woman and men started to open their cases.

"What did Abigail have for breakfast this morning?" asked the woman as she put this thing on my finger.

"Oatmeal," replied my mother.