Chapter 22: Looking to the Future

Start from the beginning

Leaning against the door frame, Reaper watched as Pastel found Goth picking vegetables in the garden.

Over the years, his son had acquired quite the green thumb. He even managed to grow enough excess that they could consistently sell fruits and vegetables whenever Palette went to market with his paintings. A bigger vehicle was required as a result to transport the extra supplies, but the investment had already been returned tenfold.

Reaper spent the majority of his time nowadays hunting game or babysitting his grandson, Pastel... who was now jumping excitedly next to his mother, picture in hand.

"Mommy, I made a picture!" the boy cheered, holding the paper up.

Goth smiled, dusting his gloves off while taking care not to get his white hooded cloak dirty. "Let me see," He asked, taking the drawing from his son, "I love all the colors you used, is this a picture of our family?"

"Uh-huh," Pastel beamed, pointing to each figure, "That's you, that's daddy, that's grandpa, and that's me!"

"Well, once I finish up here, we can find a place on the refrigerator to hang it, alright?" the mother replied, handing back the picture and receiving a squeal of joy from the small boy as he rushed past his grandpa back into the house.

It's nice to have little feet running around again. I missed it so damn much...

"Are you alright there, dad?" Goth called out, a smile on his face.

"Yeah, just enjoying the atmosphere," the other hummed contentedly, taking a seat on the steps and listening to the world around him... and the distant sound of a truck coming up a dirt road. "Sounds like Palette's back," Reaper said.

His son perked up, craning his neck and closing his sockets to listen for the telltale rumble of the engine. Hearing the noise as well, he swept up the basket of vegetables and ran it into the house.

The artist rolled around the corner just as Goth came back out. He was barely able to pull his messenger bag out of the passenger seat and shut the door before his partner was on top of him, jumping into his arms and pulling him into a passionate kiss. The taller enthusiastically returned it.

"Hey, I missed you too," Palette laughed, setting his husband down, "Nothing happened while I was gone?"

"Everything's normal, just like always," Goth chuckled, cocking a brow bone, "Honestly, I thought I was supposed to be the worrywart."

The taller skeleton sighed, "I know... I just worry when I'm not here. I know Reaper's strong, but anything can happen in a few hour's time."

"Dad won't ever let anything happen to us and I'll never let anything happen to Pastel. I promise," Goth reassured him, placing a holed hand on his husband's cheek.

"Oh, good news!" Remembering something, Palette dug into his bag excitedly, "I got a big commission offer today for a family portrait. The guy was so impressed with my work, he offered five hundred dollars to paint his family!"

Reaper let out a low whistle.

Palette's work usually sells for anywhere between seventy-five to three-hundred dollars. He must have impressed a big fish.

"Mommy, are you done yet?!" Both parents laughed at the excited yell coming from inside the house.

"Pastel drew a picture, he might want you to see it before I put it on the refrigerator," Goth commented.

Starry eye lights shined, "Then what are we waiting for? Let's go!"

Following the couple inside, Reaper stopped by a small dresser next to the doorway holding a long urn, a folded white coat, and two framed pictures.

"You'd be so proud if you could see him, Geno. He's grown up so strong," the old skeleton mumbled, picking up the newer frame to admire the picture within... a hand-made picture, drawn and painted by his son-in-law three years ago of their family of four.

 a hand-made picture, drawn and painted by his son-in-law three years ago of their family of four

~The End~

***

Good lord, that was a ride! I hope you guys enjoyed reading this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. If anyone has any questions that haven't been answered in the story or something they want details on, feel free to leave a comment asking. I might even make an extra chapter or two if an idea strikes me. 

I also have another book that I'm planning out, so keep an eye out for that in the future!

Until next time, ciao ciao for now~