Chapter 4: Awakening

The featured song is 'Santalune Forest' from Pokemon X and Y.

***

The skeleton before Palette was a mystery. 

While the markings had been a concern, the stranger wasn't unconscious because of an injury. His condition came from a lack of magical energy. Luckily, despite the amount of lost magic, he wasn't in any danger.

What was he doing to end up in this state? And where in the world did he come from? 

As far as the artist knew, no one lived within an hour of here... and it's not like the forest was a popular tourist site. Though Palette doubted the skeleton on his bed was a tourist, judging by his clothing. 

Who would travel into the woods in only a dirty sleeveless dress and a torn scarf? The thought alone is absurd!

It was also absurd how flustered he got undressing his mystery guest to check for injuries. The skeleton had a much thinner bone structure and was a bit smaller in size, but he looked to be a boy just like Palette, around his age too. 

What's there to be embarrassed about?!

What he had found under the clothing quickly sobered his thoughts, however. The markings extended to the boy's ribs and spine, revealing half-healed cracks and faded burn marks. Whatever had happened, it certainly caused a considerable amount of damage.

The skeleton tried not to think too deeply on it.

Pulling the blanket up to their sternum, Palette ventured over to his dresser. He didn't have the soul to put his guest back in ratty clothing after undressing him, so he pulled one of his white button-down shirts and a pair of work khakis from his dresser to replace the torn outfit. 

The ruined clothes went in the trash bin as Palette pulled back the covers once more to redress the small monster.

Threading the last button of the shirt, he laid the skeleton back down and contemplated his options. His guest was smaller and thinner, so the shirt was long and baggy on them... the pants would never stay up without a belt. Palette decided to forgo the pants for now, given the shirt nearly fell almost to their kneecaps like the dress had. 

Hopefully, they won't mind only having the shirt until I can dig out a spare belt.

Turning away from the bed, Palette went to go make some lunch. With how wiry the stranger was, he would surely be hungry once he woke up.

"Something simple... but easy to eat would work best," Palette murmured, sifting through his food cupboard. In the end, he decided on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches since he wasn't sure how long his guest would be sleeping. He wouldn't have to worry about the food going cold or spoiling. Pulling out two plates and the ingredients he needed, the artist got to work.

Soon, two plates with three triangular sandwiches each and two cups of water were set down on the table. He dug into his own food while he waited for the other to awaken. 

He was halfway through his second sandwich and half a glass of water when he heard a muffled groan from the bed.

Jumping up, he abandoned his lunch and made his way over to the waking monster. He watched with an excited smile on his face as the stranger's eye sockets fluttered, gradually opening. Fuzzy white eye lights slid over to meet Palette's.

He had expected confusion, maybe a question from his guest... what he got was unbridled terror.

The moment their eye lights met, the smaller gasped, launching a bone attack while throwing themselves away from him, falling off the bed with a resounding clatter. The artist ducked, eye sockets wide as the attack dissipated before it even hit the wall. 

Shaking off his shock, he stood up from his crouched position. "Hey, are you okay?" the artist called out, moving around the bed to check the smaller skeleton when nothing was said in reply. 

He stopped dead in his tracks as his guest backed up into the corner where the bed met the wall, breathing heavily and shaking... all while glaring at him, their magic crackling around them in short, threatening bursts.

"Hey, easy there... I'm not going to hurt you," Palette said softly as he advanced, hands up, only to receive a growl in return.

Okay, bad idea... I need a new plan.

"Umm... my name's Palette. What's yours?" An awkward silence followed with only the sound of the smaller skeleton's hurried breathing, "Can you talk?". The skeleton didn't utter a word, his focus never leaving the artist.

Rubbing the back of his skull, Palette decided to change the subject, "Guess not... in any case, you must be hungry. I made some sandwiches.... they're really good, help yourself." 

He didn't miss the jolt from his guest as he turned around to retrieve their plate... but the monster didn't attack.

A good start...  Or maybe he's too weak to do more. Maybe the magic around him's a bluff.

Picking up both plates from the table, Palette returned to the small skeleton and held one dish out to them. The stranger made no move to take the plate, his gaze flicking between Palette and the food.

"It's really good, try it," he urged, setting the plate on the floor and pushing it toward the frightened skeleton. He took a seat two feet away with his own food, giving it plenty of space. They both sat there, a conflicted look rising on the smaller's face as if weighing his options. 

"It's not poisoned, if that's what you're thinking," Palette chuckled nervously, taking a small bite out of his own sandwich to prove his point, "see?"

After about five minutes, the small skeleton eased his left arm out, jerking the plate toward himself. 

Does he think I'll take it away?

The small skeleton sniffed at the sandwich, turning it over in his hands before taking a hesitant bite... his sockets widened. Before Palette could question him, he began wolfing down the meal. 

The artist grinned, "Heh... guess you were hungry after all."

As soon as his guest finished the food, he stared at the plate with bread crumbs and smears of jelly around his mouth. There was a certain sense of longing in that look. "Are... are you still hungry?" the artist ventured. The skeleton looked up with a searching expression before hesitantly giving a slow nod. 

He can understand me, at least.

Palette shoved the plate with the remaining one and a half sandwiches toward them. It was dragged over much quicker than before and eaten with just as much fervor.

With all the food eaten, his attention became drawn to his clothing. Rather than embarrassment at being redressed, his skull jerked around, his expression clearly one of distress. "What's wrong?" Palette questioned, moving to get up.

He got another growl in return but was able to notice how the boy's hands, containing a hole in the center of each of them, were grasping at his neck. 

The scarf?

Walking over to the trash can, the artist pulled out the tattered red scarf, "If this what you-!"

His guest pounced just as Palette turned around, ripping the fabric from his grip and retreating back to the corner. The monster glared daggers, clutching the fabric to his chest. Under that anger, their expression also held a hint of... fear?

Palette huffed in resignation. This likely wouldn't be resolved in one sitting.