The Shadow Among Stones

Start from the beginning

They looked skeptical, and I couldn't blame them. They didn't know Nate like I did, he was different from his father, and didn't believe in his father's ideal. Especially now that his mate is from an outside pack.

"Dinner's ready!" A female voice called out from downstairs, it wasn't Alice's, so I assume it was their mother's voice who called. "Hurry up so I can meet the mysterious guest who hid from me in my own home!"

I flushed at the accusation, following father and son out of the room. Henry went down first, giving me the chance to hide behind Phoenix for as long as possible. My knuckles were white gripping the back of his shirt, Phoenix assured me that his mother was no one to fear as she was the sweetest person ever. It's not that I didn't believe him, it's more of a fear of disapproval from her. Phoenix's father approved of the mating because of what I could bring to future offspring, and perhaps the backing of Shadow Light as allies.

I was raised to be a warrior wolf, as Nathaniel's mate and the only Light wolf there was no homemaker training. My days were filled with blood, sweat, and tears. My duty was to stand beside Nathaniel as his equal in every aspect, there were days where Alpha Caine favored me over his own son because I agreed with some of his ideals and I bent easily to his will. Any criticism sent me over the edge and drove me to become better. There was no denying that the only hand my mother had in raising me, was teaching me how to climb the ranks and stay there in terms of battle strength.

Too soon we were in the dining room where Phoenix's mother was waiting in the entryway for us. "Who is that hiding from me as if I'm the big bad wolf?" She questioned playfully, trying to peer behind Phoenix's back.

Phoenix tilted his head back to look at me cowering behind his back, a smile on his face. He was enjoying my nervousness at meeting his mother. I scrunched my face at him and glared before stepping from behind him to meet his mother face to face. She gasped as she took in my shoulder length silver hair and her brown eyes met my silver ones, "Hello Alpha Stone, I am Astrid Shadows." I moved closer and stuck my hand out for her to shake, "I'm Phoenix's mate." I smiled sheepishly at her.

She took a sharp intake of breath before glaring at her son. Her eyes turned back to me, "Hello sweetheart, I'm Madison Stone." She disregarded my outstretched hand and instead hugged me. Alpha Stone took me by surprise and it took me a few seconds to come to terms with the hug before I returned it. She held me by my shoulders and looked me up and down. A smile appeared on her face, "Alpha Stone is my husband, I am referred to as Luna Stone, but you can call me Madison or Maddie. Mom would be acceptable as well." Phoenix's mother was a warm person, different from my mother and Nate's mother. "You are as beautiful as they say." Her hand came to cup my cheek, a fond smile on her face.

Madison let me go, "Well let us take our seats, we can talk over a warm meal." She gestured to the table where Alice and Henry were already seated. Henry sat at one end of the table, Alice to his left, Madison taking his right. There were three more seats left, one at the other end of the table, one next to Alice, and one next to Madison. Phoenix pulled out the seat next to Alice for me, then took the seat at the other end of the table.

Henry cleared his throat, "Honey, our son has brought quite the predicament to our doorstep." He eyed us meaningfully.

I ducked my head in embarrassment, as Alice served food onto my plate before passing it onto her brother. Phoenix refused to make eye contact with his parents, preferring instead to keep serving himself food, and adding onto my plate. I gently kicked him under the table to indicate that there was enough food on my plate. He simply grinned at me while adding extra meat onto it. I shot him a glare.

While Madison took the time to respond, I took this time to notice the similarities between the family. The siblings' hair color was closer to their father's dark brown but were lighter due to their mother's blond hair. Henry was the only one with light brown, bordering on hazel eyes, the rest had warm chocolate eyes. Madison's eyes were softer than her children's, Alice mirrored her mother's figure; average height, they had the naturally athletic figure most female shifters had with ample bust and round hips I envied. Henry was of lean build while Phoenix had broader shoulders.