7:30 pm.

Great, I'm late. I grab my bag and put my cell phone inside it and, in a matter of seconds, I'm downstairs.

Tom is there, laying on the sofa while watching a football game between the NY Jets and the Patriots. Sammy is seated right next to him, eating the popcorn my dad has probably made for himself. Beer is on top of the center table and just by looking at it, I know the night would be long.

Luckily, Sammy and I are going to be out of here tonight.

"Dad, uh-" He looks at me from the corner of his eye, making me uncomfortable at the same moment. I need to breathe deeply before continuing what I was going to say. "Bella invited me to sleep at her house today, and her sister wants to play with Sammy."

"And?"

"Can we sleep there?" I ask as I close my hands. My palms are sweaty and my nails are digging into my skin, leaving little circular red marks.

"Alright. But be back early tomorrow morning so we can have breakfast together." I finally stop hurting myself, breathing normally again. His response caught me off guard but somehow, I keep my facade.

Sammy gives my dad a kiss on the cheek before running out to the car like he always does.

My father stands up, turning his gaze towards me. I hold my breath again because there's nothing else I can do.

Don't cry, Lina. Just don't.

He grabs my arm and presses it, probably leaving behind a red mark. I shut my eyes, fighting the tears that threaten to leave my cheek wet.

Crying is not an option.

Don't cry, Lina. I remind myself again but this time it takes all the strength I have. His breath is hot against my neck and it smells like the usual. Alcohol at its freshest.

"Don't try anything funny at the Adams', Adelina. If you try to tell them about me, I will know and your brother will pay the price," Tom whispers, low in my ear, sending goosebumps through my whole body. "You can go now."

He lets my arm go and I lose no time in leaving that house, meeting Sammy inside the car.

I can finally breathe in and out again.

The air got caught in my throat and for one moment, I thought I would die. I thought I would suffocate.

But I didn't because I'm supposed to take care of Sammy.

And that's exactly what I will do by going to this party.

"I missed you today, you know?" Bella tells me as she embellishes her forest green eyes with black eyeliner in her trademark, cat eyes while I prepare my face for the makeup

"I missed you today, you know?" Bella tells me as she embellishes her forest green eyes with black eyeliner in her trademark, cat eyes while I prepare my face for the makeup. We are in her bathroom getting ready for the party while Sammy and May are playing in the room next door.