Chapter 38

Winter had finally left the land. Dripping icicles and gurgling brooks announced the coming of Spring. The noise was clearest from the little stream that now after months of being frozen ran clear and noisily, free of its icy shackles. With this brought the time for travel, as we needed to leave the area before patrols began to come out from Columbia. Along with that, Cassie did not deserve for me to be away any longer than needed at this point.

Since neither Kaelyn or I had any intention in returning in the short term to this campsite, everything was being packed up. All of the smaller items like our cookware, our clothes, tools, and other items we distributed between the various bags we had. They were important for everyday chores like cooking, fire making, and preparing camp, so I wanted easy access to them. Everything else, all the fur and food and herbs we piled into a few woven baskets or just into the spaces we had availing between our seats in the canoe. Winter had been fairly profitable, between my trapping skills and Kaelyn's needlework, we had a few thousand dollars in finished product. It would require a few trips to different towns and cities to trade it all, but it was enough to allow Kaelyn more clothes, and buy cloth from the Silver Falls Mill in the north. Whatever was left over I would talk with Cassie and my brother to decide the best use of it. Maybe they would agree to let me use it as a payment for the horse Shaw had said he was going to find for me, or use it to buy more livestock for the farm. The kids were old enough to take care of a goat or two, which would provide milk and allow them the possibility of making a little money every year.

Thunkthunkthunkthunkthunk

Distracted by the sudden noise I looked around for its origin. Nearby on the side pf a tree I spotted it, a woodpecker tapping the bark in an effort to drill holes into the tree so that it could feed on insects. It was about the size of a grouse, with a red spot on the back its head. Everything else was blended in with the surroundings, but that splash of color stood out as the woodpecker made its way around the tree.

Returning to my work, I watched as Kaelyn carried out a stack of hats and other garments she had made. They were of superior quality to what I could make, and had provided her with work duding the cold dark days of winter these last few months. Her latest work was no different, as I walked around in the elk-skin pants and shirt that she had finished a few days ago. It was not as comfortable as my normal wool or cotton clothing, but it was sturdy and kept me warm. Spring may have arrived, but there was still a chill in the mornings, and I was tired of having to constantly wear so many layers. It reminded me too much of how close we had come to dying on numerous occasions this winter, and I did not want to be reminded of them.

These last few months had allowed us to both heal from our wounds, and I had seen improvements to Kaelyn's overall health. Despite our ordeals she had put on muscle and become more like the women of the region. Though I could still see her as the woman that first met me in a snow storm, she looked less like that person and more like someone born into this life. Except of course when it came to her only carrying a knife on her hip, and the quality and style of her dresses. They had faded a little from the near constant use and abuse that they had been put though, yet they still were of a finer quality than most Outsiders wore.

Thinking about clothing reminded me of how I had told Cassie I would go to the Silver Falls Mill. First I wanted to see her and the children before I did that I wanted to see her and the rest of the family. "So I would like to see Cassie and the kids for a few days. But then I want to go to Notredram, they have supplies we and Cassie need."

Looking over at me, Kaelyn replied, "Yes, and there are supplies we need as well. I would like to stock the satchel bag with medical supplies, stuff we cannot find out in the forest."

Keeping all the medical supplies in one bag that we could rotate who carried would make it much easier when people were hurt and needed some first aid. Injuries were a common occurrence in the wilds, and stuff like bandages and basic remedies were not all that heavy. Neither were individual plants, or even just the dried leaves.

"Which reminds me, if we see any herbs we should stop and collect some. Father was always being told by the doctors to buy every scrap of herb that you or the other traders brought. The Appalachia Rangers bring in a few bags each year, but the doctors always want more."

Nodding my head in agreement as I had been asked numerous times by Shaw in the past to bring back hauls of herbs, I added, "Notredram is not the only city that needs such. You remember Benji, he prefers the Walled City of Southbeach, to the south of Notredram, and the Walled City of Hampton, to the west. I stick with Notredram, Columbia, and the Walled City of Appalachia. Towns and other small villages out here rarely have need of me, though I do get called upon once in a while to retrieve rare plants. Your father's has had me do such a few times, though I have tended to refuse anything more than a fair payment for my work. Taking more just because I am one of a few people who are willing to get the plant is not right. Cassie would never accept the money and I would feel as if I am equating a persons life to a dollar."

"We will see them one day? The other cities I mean." Kaelyn asked, eagerly, her voice having an excited tone to it.

Reminded of how I first felt years ago when I was exploring the region and traveling to the various Walled Cities, I suppressed a smile as I replied amused, "Yes. This summer we will go up and down Appalachia trading. You might as well know where all the Walled Cities are, and learn what they commonly want and have to trade."

Stuffing the last of the goods into the canoe, I looked up towards the sun. It was well past morning and if we wanted to make the most of the day we needed move soon.

Briskly walking back to the hut, I checked to see if there was anything still inside. Everything had been accounted for and now having confirmed everything was in the canoe, I walked out of the hut.

"Time to go."

Nodding her head Kaelyn followed me over to the canoe. While she remained on shore to guide the canoe into the water, I went down the small bank and into the water. It was frigidly cold and my body squirmed with discomfort. Doing my best to ignore the cold, I guided, "Push it nice and slow. We want it to ease into the water."

Grabbing the front of the canoe, I helped guide the last of it in. Now holding it steady, I watched as Kaelyn carefully climbed in. She would be in the back of the canoe for the first part of the trip. Guiding the canoe from the back was not all that hard and the practice would be good for her, as well as furthering her confidence that she could survive out here, not that she needed anymore. This winter alone had been testament to her ability to adapt and overcome.

"You ready for me?"

Bobbing her head slightly in reply, Kaelyn dug her paddle into the rocky stream bottom to steady the canoe as I hauled myself out of the waist deep water. Shifting ever so slightly so that I did not rock the small craft too much, I got into a sitting position.

Happy to be finally heading for home, I raised my voice as I sang

For we will go home
Yes we will go home
We will go home
On the water