Chapter 52

Startled by my name being spoken, I nearly dropped my spear. Ahead of me Lucia and Adaire were looking at me. Both we're trying to hide the emotions in their face, but I could tell they knew I had been lost in my thoughts of home and Kaelyn.

Hurrying over to them I, and since I was supposed to be mute, I raised one eyebrow. Behind Lucia and Adaire was a large set of doors. They were attached to some type of building that looked like a courtyard of sorts. Inside a voice boomed, and other voices shouted in response.

Nodding for Lucia to lead us inside, I followed her through the giant doors. A crowd all staring at a stage greeted my eyes. On the stage itself stood the man with the booming voice. Beside him stood stood young dark skinned boy in shackles.

"Do I hear 200?"

No hands raised at first, but as my eyes scanned the crowd I noticed a European couple off to the side. The women raised her hand after a quick statement to the man. While he was clad in light blue, she wore a white dress the felt familiar.

"Any one else want to bid on this fine young lad . He will make an excellent house servant for the ladies of your household, and be fit for most manual labor in a few years."

Still no one else raised their hand. "I cannot believe I have to stand here and watch this happen. That boy is the same age as ten I know back home." Adaire muttered angrily under his breath.

"Sold"

The boy was walked over to the side where a few other slaves stood. All the others in the group were men in there prime, for for unskilled labor.

"That concludes this weeks auction. Buyers please speak with me to pay your tabs."

The man and woman both made their way to the stage, where the woman spoke to the slaves and the boy while the man pulled out a coin pouch and spoke with the auctioneer.

Next to me Lucia whispered, "Kaelyn will have been sold here, by that man. Let's wait till everyone else is gone then I will approach him. Both of you try to not get yourselves into trouble until we are out of here safely."

My attention returned on the woman as she knelt down on one knee to talk to the boy. Until now her face has remained hidden by a large sun bonnet, but she removed that as well. Her face remained turned away from me but her brown hair shone in the sunlight. The dress that had been nagging at me was caught in a day of light and sent me spiraling as my mind raced back to that cold day fleeing Notredam.

All of the sudden my heart was racing, and my blood was pounding in my ears. Shock and delight and too many emotions to describe washed over me like a wave from the sea. Conscious of my surroundings I muttered under my breath, "Follow at a safe distance, don't lose track of me, and play the game that I'm about to put in motion."

Handing my spear and shield over the Adaire, "Keep them safe my brother," I stepped out into the light. Each step I took came with a hammer pounding on my heart. I knew what I was doing was reckless, but I was not going to risk two of my only friends I had on this continent.

As I walked I kept my head down just enough so She could not see my face, but I kept track of her and the two men's movements as I neared the stage. I did not know if my hare brained plan was going to succeed but I had to try. Cassie and the others could box my ears later.

Taking a deep breath to calm myself down, I politely waited for the two men to finish their business before stating, "Excuse me sir, may I have a word with you."

The man in blue looked at the auctioneer who shrugged and said, "He's all yours if it gets nasty, on the house."

Placing the coins pouch in a pocket on his coat, the man in blue turned to look at me. "I hope this is important boy, since your life is mine if I do choose."

I had been hoping for something like this. "That's what I wanted to speak to you about. No doubt you have a fair number of laborers and men to watch over them, but I would like to offer my services as a huntsman. I can catch game to feed both your slaves and your household. All I ask is a place to live and the freedom to roam your lands."

The blue man looked past me to her and asked, "Come over here please. I want you to tell me what you think about the young huntsman."

Keeping my expression neutral I listened as her footsteps drew near and then past me. She turned around and stood to the side of the man in blue. Our gazes locked for a moment and I saw so much in just that moment. Turning her eyes and face towards the man in blue, she replied, "He seems young to be a huntsman, but if we can reduce the cost of feeding the workers, then we can afford to buy more livestock that will add to our profits overall. Besides if nothing else he will provide entertainment to us at night and maybe be useful against those who come to take what is yours."

Her voice and tone was that which I had heard her use before when negotiating a deal between merchants and traders. Somehow she had found her way into using her upbringing to prove her worth.

"Well that settles it then. I am Leoric, owner of one of the the most profitable estates in Greece. I have not had a huntsman before, so please do not disappoint me..."

Taking that as my cue I offered, "Zachariah. Most people just call me Z, you can call me whichever you prefer."

"Alright Z, we can discuss our arrangement more later over dinner, but first I want you to meet my companion. Allow me to introduce Kaelyn, my business associate."