12

SITTING ON THE FARTHEST BENCH PERPENDICULAR TO THE FOOTBALL COURT was pretty normal for Jess, an hour before school on Tuesday mornings. Leo and Ellie were sitting on either side of her as the three took a break from their newly acquired reality and take a breath of air.

Her mind wavers back to the night before where she and Scar and informed the rest of the group about the circumstances Aspyn had told them on how to get killed, and how to get trapped. Jess sat on the leftmost corner of the bench, looking as alienated as one could get.

Instead of chatting quietly amongst one another, they were all lost in thought, thinking that this had become their reality, and their lives were very much on the line. Ellie had bitten her lips subtly trying to digest the situation but ended up sniffling in Jess' arms. But nevertheless, the time hadn't stopped for them, the people who were trying to figure out a way for them to save a million lives without losing theirs.

In fact, she hadn't even realized that she was frozen into place with her dire face before she felt a figure inch closer to her. Ellie was sitting to her right, but Leo had nestled himself in between the girls.

Leo's green hair was half-draped over his face before he flipped it back in place. Rolling my eyes, I replicate his hairstyle by looping my own hair and pretending I have an extra long pair of bangs. Laughing, Leo throws his head backward pinching the crinkled bridge of his nose.

From my peripheral vision, I see Ellie's skinny figure move as she laughs. "el stupido."

"Quick note, we take French, not Spanish." Jess points out.

"Mhmm, el stupido, indeed."

Jess had French third period with the lovely teacher that welcomed every student to her class with a deathly glare, a stare as strong as Medusa's. Plus, her rash decisions were simply the highlight of the day. With the signature slight huff she started every lesson with, Madame Bernard trudged over and hovered over her door which she slammed abruptly as the bell rang. Anyone late would have to face her wrath.

"Everyone late can chier maintenant." She roared in her thick French accent, eyeing the three empty seats at the front of the room belonging to none other than Britney and her two minions.

"What did she say?" The boy sitting to Jess' left asked.

"She said that everyone late should piss off."

Jess nearly cried in tears of pure laughter when Britney had sashayed into the room, attempting at showing her cleavage to every single boy in the class, then earned herself a nice detention post-school. In fact, she was still laughing in the car ride on the way to their squad room. "Okay. What happened." Ellie asked, finally.

Leo laughs from the driver's seat, "Madame Bernard and Britney, have earned a place in comedic history." He grins, "You should've seen her face."

"Chienne, tu es en retard?" Jess mimics, imagining Britney's flushed reaction, the redness filling up her face as Madame circled around her in a menacing manner. Ellie giggled from her seat.

Soon, they had arrived. Preparing for yet another day.

The water pressure hit Jess' face as she dove deeper into the ocean. Louis swam beside her trying to bathe in the cooling water while shading himself from the blazing heat emitted from the sun. Kicking her legs against the water, she sped up pulling my arms back to move deeper.

She smiled to herself as she began to enjoy the presence of the pearl itself, it's gleaming light was such a beautiful sight to see. But when she, and the other's press their hands on it and are transported to Covia, Aspyn is nowhere to be found.