4 // navigation and ex boyfriends

It was only twenty minutes that Ashton and I were lost in the woods of the large camp grounds.

Neither of us were exactly "good navigators" and that would've helped considering the size of the forest.

Ashton had some slow song playing in the background of our small talk conversation about bad past relationships and vines we've come to love when all of a sudden, his arm wrapped around my waist and brought me closer to him.

I looked into his eyes as his lips tugged into a smile.

"Figured you wouldn't want to step in animal shit? He said releasing me from his grasp pointing to the animal poop on the ground.

"Thanks." I said tucking another stand of loose hair behind my ear again.

"So, have you figured out any way we could possibly get back for dinner on time, Em?" Which immediately made me flinch.

Ashton noticed.

"Dammit, I keep forgetting. I'm sorry, Emma. I shouldn't have called you that." He said fisting his messy curls.

"It's fine." I sighed.

We walked a good 2 minutes without either of ud speaking until I finally broke the silence. I stopped in my tracks and just waited for Ashton to face me.

"My ex boyfriend." I said making him stop.

"What about him?" He asked turning around.

"That's why you can't call me Em. It was always his name for me. It was never, 'babe' and 'baby' it was just Em, never anything else. We had this huge fight and he hasn't spoken to me since and it was probably the happiest two years of my life and it's all wasted because I did some stupid shit." I said pulling my face into my hands.

I fought so hard to keep back the tears. I thought I had cried them all out after the big dispute so it wouldn't matter.

"Ugh, I'm such an idiot. I'm really sorry. I didn't know a nickname could mean so much to someone!" He said pulling me into a hug.

I really needed it. I could smell the faint scent of cologne on his shirt and it was a little thing in life that I could get used to. Not that I should. He's just a friend. A really, sweet, hot, adorable, caring friend.

Stop, Emma. Stop.

"Let's walk now. We need to head back. Maybe we could check out more around the camp grounds?" He asked.

"That's sounds great. Let's go.." I trailed off remembering we were still lost.

"Let's just follow the path around until we find somewhere, okay?" Ashton asked changing the song on his phone to another one.

"Okay."

-

Ashton and I actually didn't have time to look around the camp grounds. As soon as they stepped out of the forrest, the bells rang signalling it was dinner time.

"Holy shit, were we gone for that long?" I asked grabbing his phone from his pocket.

6:00 pm

"Wow." Ashton commented opening the palm of his hand. I assumed he just wanted his phone until he opened his mouth again.

"Actually I was willing to take your hand but, have it your way." He said and giggled.

"Shut up!" I said nudging him over.

"That totally charmed you. I got nothing to worry about." He smirked.

When we entered the mess hall, Laura and Hayley called me over but I wasn't ready to leave Ashton just yet. I pulled on his sleeve and guided him to the table.

"Emma, you missed out! Some kid like passed out near the outhouse washroom thingy and.." Hayley trailed off looking behind her.

"Who's this?" She asked pointing to Ashton.

"I'm sorry, I never introduced myself. I'm Ashton. Ashton Irwin."