Chapter Nineteen

It was Tuesday night, and while all the kids went to bed as it was school night, our fun was only just getting started.

We blasted a playlist of Panic! At the Disco and other emo trash bands as we drove Trev into town, beer and chips in the back and a night planned with exciting, crazy adventures.

Like playing ultimate frisbee in the dark, which, if you ever want to try, dont play it with a half alien and two intelligence agents. Youre less likely to makes dents in cars that way.

Most of town was cordoned off and broken down, but here were a few makeshift bars and clubs still around, that were probably illegal but because it was New Zealand, no one really cared.

The first club we stopped at was called Venus. It was held in an old warehouse with peeling paint and a questionable structure, filled with neon lights, drinks, smoke and bodies gleaming in the dark. It was a place I could spend hours in, all the smoke and drugs soaking into my skin, making me buzz with energy. As we entered, a mix of weed, alcohol and sweat bombarded my nose, but instead of making us gag it made us even more excited. I'd been to clubs in New York, but they were full of sequined dresses and red lipstick. Here, people wore ripped jeans and plaid shirts, or jandals and hunting gear. There was no need for fancy clothes because everyone was equal, all here for a good time, rather than a chance to climb the ladder of social status.

Taly ordered us a drink called a CBD Fizzer, and when I downed it in one gulp it really did fizz in my stomach and burn down my throat.

It was amazing.

Tasha lead us to the dance floor, which was concrete painted a neon pink, splashed with sweat, discarded shoes and was that a pair of underpants?

At first, it was fun, the swirling and twisting and wiggling of hips. But soon, we began getting noticed. Taly swung her hips around a tall dark-skinned dude with dreads, while Tasha was trailing one hand over the bare chest of a surfer and fluttering her eyes lashes at a dark eyed girl.

I could see a tall dark blonde-haired guy wearing a tank top and a bucket hat making his way towards me, his bright eyes locking with mine.

While Tasha and Taly may have free reign to hook up with anyone they liked, I was stuck in the bondage of love and would feel uncomfortable and guilty if I so much as touched a man that wasnt Steve.

Tripping over feet and items of clothing, I tried and failed to get away from the hunk of muscle whose eyes I had captured. There were just too many people in the place and it was impossible to find my way out. That, and the Fizzer was making my head spin, and I wondered what the hell was in that drink.

I felt his hands circle my waist, but my head was fuzzy, so I didn't protest, but let myself dance to the beat of the music. The drum beat was pounding in my chest, and I could just make out Tasha and Taly drifting away from me, deeper into the building. I felt the heat of his body against mine, and his head dipped lower. His eyes were bright blue, and they looked so familiar.

"Steve?" I mumbled. The guy laughed, and before I knew it he was kissing me, and I was kissing him. His hands gripped my waist. It was heated and fast, but it didn't feel right. It didn't feel like him.

I pulled away, my head clearer.

"You're not Steve," I muttered, staring at the boy still holding onto me.

"I can be whatever you want me to be babe," He said smoothly, pulling me closer. I wriggled out of his grasp.

"No, I'm sorry, I can't," I slipped into the crowd, searching for Tasha or Taly. Finally, through the smoky haze I spotted Taly making out with the dreadlocks dude in a far corner.