Chapter Eight

After a stop in Singapore, a full belly of Supreme Cheese Doritos and another long agonizing trip with the peanut guy, we finally arrived in Moscow, Russia.

After taking our carryon luggage down to the pick-up area, Tasha called us a cab and we speed through the city towards a hotel she had booked prior to the trip.

Good thing was, it didnt cost us a thing. Apparently, Tasha had a friend up high in the hotel management, who had gotten us a fancy first class room on the top floor of the Metropol Hotel. It was a big step up from the two-room shed I had stayed in on my last trip to Russia a year ago.

Lets just say that place had more rats than floorboards.

As soon as we approached the Metropol Hotel, I could instantly tell it was the kind of place where snobby rich couples spent their money. 5 stars, free wifi, restaurants, bars and a pool and gym. It was the perfect place to stay in Russia if you wanted to live lavishly and ignore the poverty around you.

Upon entering our room, I dumped my bag on the plush carpet and flopped down on the king size bed, sinking down into the unnaturally soft blankets. Tasha was a bit more careful, putting her bag on the table in the adjoining room, and sitting down on the king bed next to mine.

"How do you like the room?" Tasha asked. I rolled over onto my side and propped my head up with my right arm.

"It's alright I guess," I said grinning. She brushed her glossy red hair behind her ear, smiling.

"You never told me what were doing here, by the way," I asked, smoothing down the blankets with my free hand. Tashas face dropped, her smile gone in an instant. She turned away, her eyes blazing.

I sat up, worried.

"I'm sorry, did I upset you?" I leaned forward, to try and get a glimpse of her face. She looked back at me and smiled sadly.

"No, its fine. I should have told you before we came," she replied, getting up off the bed and walking over to the adjoining room. I followed her through into the dining and lounge area, where plush patterned sofas and an ornate dining table sat. A gold crystal chandelier hung above the table, and a huge mirror occupied a wall opposite the sofas.

Tasha began unpacking her things from her small duffel bag.

"I'm here because I found a lead on my parents," she said firmly, as if assuring herself.

"Your parents?" I said in surprise. I hadn't ever really thought that Tasha had parents. Of course, everyone does but it shocked me to think that someone like her could ever rely on someone that much and let herself be cared for by someone else.

Tasha nodded.

"I was taken away from them when I was young, to train as a special KGB operative." She sounded vague, and Im guessing it had something to do with the fact she was once an enemy of the United States of America. There was as lot more to her story then she let on, but I was afraid to ask.

"And you think youve found them?" I said curiously. Tasha didnt look up from what she was doing.

"I think so." She said bluntly.

At that moment, my phone started ringing in my pocket, and Tasha began silently putting her small amount of belongs in a chest of drawers.

I gave her a worried look before moving away to the bedroom and answered my phone.

"Hello?" I said. I was using a new phone, so the caller ID was unknown.

"Keight, how are you?" Tony Stark said from the other end. I stifled a laugh, knowing exactly what this was about.