Chapter Thirteen

Rumlow and the team had found nothing at the site of the explosion, except a footprint in the dust. It was enough to give me hope that my friends had survived. Where they were now, I had no clue.

After pushing the button, I'd gone back to that storeroom with the whiskey and locked myself in there. Whoever went in there next would notice a bottle and a half missing.

I was drunk for a while, yes, but my body burned it all up into energy within half an hour, so now all I had to remember it was a headache and the smell of it on my fingers.

I was hanging around in the control room, standing behind Tim, Max's analyst brother and being watched like a hawk by Agent 13, aka Sharon. I hated to admit it, but she really was pretty, and I could see why Steve liked her. She obviously didn't carry as much emotional baggage as I did, at least, my enhanced senses and spy training couldnt see any evidence of it. Either way, she hated my guts, so it really didnt matter.

Sitwell had gone to meet with Senator Stern, and I fully realized just how deep HYDRA went. This was the man that had tried to convince America that Tony Stark was a threat to their safety back in 2010. Now he was a member of HYDRA, which meant anyone in the government could be under his influence.

Tims computer beeped, and I leaned over to have a look.

"A break in at Fort Meade? Whats in Fort Meade thats so special?" I whispered to Tim, leaning closer to him so no one could hear us.

"Uh, not sure. Looks like they took some kind of paragliding machinery. That stuff was locked up after things went south a few months back. Its top secret military stuff, experimental, that kind of thing. I'm trying to get the footage, but it looks like someone took out the cameras from the control panel outside the building," Tims fingers danced over the keyboard, but I already knew who it was.

That was a Black Widow move.

"Can you keep this under wraps?" I hissed to Tim. I glanced over at Sharon, and I could see her frowning at us from across the room.

"What?" He whispered, clearly not understanding. I leant in even closer.

"Delete the file. All of it. Get rid of the notification, everything. Dont let anyone know about this. Is that clear?" I could feel my eyes glowing from under my hood, and saw Tims widen in fear.

"I dont understand I have to report thi-"

"Do it!"

"Is everything ok here?" a voice said behind me. I spun around and smiled.

"Everything is peachy, Agent 13. Isn't is Tim?" I looked at Tim and he seemed to get the message, because he nodded nervously and went back to his screen. Sharon stared at me with her arms crossed.

"Are you sure?" She asked coldly. I narrowed my eyes but replied sweetly.

"Of course. Now why don't you go back to you post over by the corner, and I'll continue doing my job as head of this operation." Her eyes went dark with anger and she stormed off to her post, her heels clicking in the floor.

I felt a swirl of guilt in my chest, but it didnt last long. SHIELD or not, I didnt like Agent 13 and nothing could change that.

My phone rang, and I checked the caller ID before answering.

"Hello Pierce sir," I said, my hands suddenly sweaty.

"Theres a situation. Captain Rogers, Agent Romanoff and an ex-soldier named Sam Wilson have got Sitwell." I felt my heart beat faster, and I saw Sharon watching me with contempt from the corner.