1 9 : Date me for real

Karter knew this was the best decision, meeting up with Caleb to discuss their relationship, but every cell in her body was telling her to run away. Across town, the same feelings were swirling in Caleb's mind. The two of them each expected the other to be completely relaxed with the situation. Caleb so sure Karter was going about her life without a care in the world. And Karter, worrying that Caleb would casually reject her and then leave her life forever.

After a deep look into her own mind, Karter realized that she wanted Caleb to be by her side. Her experience in dating was sorrily lacking and she didn't fully understand her own feelings, so she decided that if Caleb asked her out (for real) she'd accept.

Being rejected was a possibility Karter had to come to terms with. Having the words, "I don't like you," spoken directly to her face was something she would have a hard time dealing with.

Caleb, on the other hand, was worried about a passive rejection. Karter was one with the wind and although it made her relaxing to hang out with, it never made her intentions completely known.

Caleb pictured her saying something comforting and then flying away on her surf board, never to be seen again.

He could feel himself breaking into a sweat as he pulled his convertible into the parking lot of the ice cream shop where it all began. He ran different scenarios in his mind and practiced saying, "I like you a lot," and, "let's date for real," in his head.

As he walked towards the front of the shop he saw the wild sun kissed hair of the girl he was going to see. She sat under the same bright umbrella as they did the last time and her back was facing him.

Caleb's feet moved without his permission towards Karter whose leg was bouncing with anxiety.

"Hey," Caleb said.

Karter jumped, but quickly recovered, and gestured towards a bowl of chocolate cookie dough.

"I figured I could order for you because the line is so long," Karter smiled, "it would just be easier that way, you know?"

Caleb nodded and sat across from her. The two sat in an awkward silence before Caleb finally spoke up.

"So, I guess I'll start because I'm kind of the one who kissed you," he faced turned red as he spoke, "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I shouldn't have done it without your permission and without any warning. I guess I was just caught up in the moment, and I know that's not an excuse but I just want to say I'm sorry." He was staring down at his ice cream that was slowly melting. He couldn't bear to look in Karter's eyes.

"I appreciate the apology," Karter spoke, "and it did surprise me, but the more I thought about it the more I realized I was fine with it, and I... I kind of liked it."

Caleb's eyes shot away from the ice cream and to the girl in front of him. Karter's face was beet red and in a way it comforted Caleb knowing that she was just as embarrassed as he was.

"I've never really had someone like me," she explained, although Caleb knew that was straight up false, "and, I don't know, I guess I'm having to understand what it fully means? I-I do like you."

Caleb's heart bursted into a million tiny butterflies.

"And the more I think about it the more I would be okay with dating you for real."

"WAIT!" Caleb stopped her, embarrassed at his outburst, "I thought maybe I could do it."

Karter looked at him quizzically.

"Because back at the start of this whole thing you said 'date me' and now I want to say it."

A smile formed on her face, "go ahead."

Caleb took a deep breath, "Date me for real."

This time, Karter's stomach fluttered with butterflies.

"Uh, yeah," she said, "sure!"

The two of them smiled at each other and it took all of Caleb's will power to not jump up and kiss her again. Instead, they ate their ice cream and talked about life.

● ● ●

7/10/18