Chapter 12: Acceptance

(m/n)'s Pov

I waited, still on the bed having not moved, for Kaneki to come back. Although, most of me wanted him to not ever return. Most of me wanted him to disappear and everything that happened, my being trapped here, the things that he did to me, Hide's injuries and/or death, I don't know if he is alive or not since I haven't left the room in a while, to disappear with him. If he was gone, if I had never met him, maybe, just maybe my life would still be normal. However, Kaneki returned with the movie and took me to the living room. He sat me down on the couch and he began messing with the tv. A foul scent suddenly stimulates my sense of smell and I crinkle my nose. I look in the direction that the smell is coming from and Kaneki notices.

Kaneki: I'll take care of that later. Sorry if it bothers you too much.

I sit silently as those annoying ads/commercials that you can't skip play on the DVD and contemplate asking if that was Hide. I eventually decided against it as I figured it would only provoke Kaneki. I bring my knees to my chest as the movie played and decided to rest my chin on my knees. I'm not really interested in the movie, neither is Kaneki. He looks over at me.

Kaneki: I thought you wanted to watch this.

I mumble something under my breath and he looks unhappy.

Kaneki: I'm sorry. What did you say?

(m/n): I said, "Sorry but I've lost interest."

Kaneki lets out a sigh.

Kaneki: You've changed.

(m/n): Look who's talking...

He sits silently as he stares at me. My emotions start to get the better of me and I disregard my previous decision.

(m/n): I bet Hide has changed to.

The tone of my words convey my anger.

(m/n): That's him in the other room, isn't it Kaneki?

Kaneki: (m/n), I understand that you're probably very angry but do not act or speak to me like that.

(m/n): Who do you want me to be then?! Who do you want me to act like?! Do you just want me to sit on a shelf like a pretty doll?! Am I that much of an object to you?! "I'm protecting you." "I'm doing this for you." "This is the best for you." Are you afraid of me being broken?!

I tear up.

(m/n): Do I seem that pathetic to you now? Because you're a strong ghoul and I'm just a weak human?

Kaneki looks like he wants to be angry but his expression changes to one of sadness.

Kaneki: That's really how you see this? You really, truly, see my love as just possession of an object?

I clench my hands into fists.

(m/n): How else am I supposed to see it?! You locked me in that damn room, you raped me, and you killed Hide, our best friend!

Kaneki's Pov

Tears start rolling down your cheeks and you cover your face.

(m/n): Haven't we been through enough Kaneki?

You try wiping your tears away but they're just replaced by more.

(m/n): Haven't we all dealt with enough already? Why must you add more? You disappeared and only God knows what you went through, I've had to deal with being picked on since I was little, and now we both have to deal with what you've done...

Kaneki: (m/n)... This-

I stop and reconsider what I was about to say. I let out a sigh.

Kaneki: (m/n), I'm scared.

You look up surprised, tears still sliding down your face.

Kaneki: No. I'm not scared. I'm terrified of losing you. So terrified that I had nightmares of losing you before I brought you here and I still have a few. You're the best thing that's ever entered my life. You've helped me find the good in my situation. I found out I was a ghoul and I hated it. Then you found out and it brought a smile to my face as you seemed so fascinated.

I get up and cup your tear soaked cheeks in my hands. I give you the kindest smile I can muster at the moment.

Kaneki: Seeing you in awe like ypu were made me reconsider my perception of my new life. Maybe I could stop being the book nerd you always had to protect. Maybe I could protect you instead. I could bring you joy and fascination.

Your tears continue to fall so I wipe them away.

Kaneki: To protect you I had to bring you here. I needed to keep you by my side so we both could be happy.

My smile fades.

Kaneki: But you're not happy. I've seen that but decided to look the other way so I could fulfill my selfish desires.

You try to hold your tears back as you speak.

(m/n): S-So... will you face reality now? For me?

I nod and give you a look of determination.

Kaneki: I'll change how things are done. I'll continue to protect you but also allow you to have your freedom. I'll show you that my love is not the desire to have an object or a trophy, but truly love for a significant other.

You look doubtful but nod in agreement.

(m/n): Alright Kaneki. Show me that you really love me.

~2 months later~

(m/n)'s Pov

I'm sitting on the swing set of a park, gently swinging, and waiting.

Kaneki: Hey. It's starting to get dark. Let's get you back to your house.

Kaneki walks up to me with a grocery bag in his hand. I smile and stand up. As we start walking in the direction of my home, I gently take Kaneki's free hand into my own.

(m/n): Thank you Kaneki. I love you.

He smiles down at me.

Kaneki: I love you too (m/n).

He leans down and gives me a gentle kiss on my cheek. Since that night two months ago, Kaneki has let me start living in my own house again. He spends most of his time around me but I do get my privacy and freedom and Kaneki gets to feel like he's protecting me. We often visit Hide's grave and I know that Kaneki is dealing with the guilt of our past but I reassure him that we'll get through it now that he's letting us live normally. He often apologizes, like he used to before, to me about what he's done. It's reassuring to me to be seeing him slowly change back to who he used to be. I'm sure everything will work out now.

(m/n): We'll be happy for a long time Kaneki. I promise.

———————————————————
A/N: And that's the ending! I hope you all enjoyed reading this. I know it's kinda a happy ending for a yandere story but that's because I've read a lot of these and I haven't seen very many happy endings. Besides I needed to feel better to and as I wrote this last part of the chapter I swear I had a goofy smile on my face and it felt good. Sorry about posting this not too long after extending my deadline. I actually had this idea this morning and as I was writing, the chapter just started writing itself. But now that this book is finished I'll be focusing mainly on one-shots or super short stories. If you want a one-shot spin-off thingy based of this book's ending, I'll be happy to do that. Or if you just have questions about anything else that happens after this ending I'll be glad to try and answer them to the best of my abilities. Hope you all have a wonderful day!