"SASUKE!"

No one came.

...

"NARUTO!"

Sasuke tried to escape the arms that restrained him. He clawed his hand over his brother's arms and screamed again. His father was yelling in annoyance, trying to stop his rampaging, injured son from escaping. The night had been loud with both the bustling village and dangerous storm. But when Sasuke first started shrieking in agonised pain, everything took a turn for the worst. Itachi came shortly before his parents; right as Sasuke slammed the door open, filled with terror. The horror on his face, and the blood dripping down from red and purple eyes pushed Itachi to make a move.

His older brother got behind him and wrapped his arms around his body. He could feel the chakra flowing to his eyes. Mangekyou and Rinnegan eyes. Itachi had seen them, the blood dripping down his face, and arm gone with no trace left behind. He cut off the chakra flow, deactivating both eyes. The tiredness rushed in again at the absence of chakra, what little adrenaline he had left leaving fast.

He was stressing out, panting and thrashing, scaring Itachi.  He was out of his mind, trying to escape his brother's grasp and save his friend.

"NARUTO! Please let me go!" Sasuke tried, blood staining Itachi's arms with crimson. "I need to help him- I can't help him... he needs me but I'M NOT THERE!"

Itachi refused to let go as Fugaku failed to calm the screaming boy. He didn't want to use a sleeping jutsu on him, but at the rate his father's efforts were going, someone needed to do it.

So he mumbled a quick sorry and did it as best he could, holding his unconscious brother and slipping to the floor. Mikoto dropped beside him and examined Sasuke's eyes. From what Itachi could see, his parents hadn't caught a glance of Sasuke's unusual eyes. He must have deactivated them somehow. But the blood was still there, coating his face and splattered on his torso.

"His arm?" Fugaku inquired. Itachi just shook his head and continued to gaze at his brother. How could Sasuke know of Naruto? How had any of this happened? A nightmare? No, no nightmare could cause someone to both awaken and evolve the Sharingan. But if it wasn't that, how? How had his arm disappeared without a trace and no wound left behind?

...

Naruto lay motionless and starving, at the end of the abandoned alleyway. No one had come to help him. The only one who would bother was Sasuke, but he was also out of action. This month of recuperating the figure had mentioned had no end.

In addition to the temporary loss of mobility came taxing fevers and chills. So Naruto felt cold all over, shivering and sweating, and unable to look after himself.

The laceration that went from above his left eyebrow to collarbone had only stopped bleeding two nights ago. But even with his heightened healing, Naruto felt an infection coming on. It was the most serious injury. Apart from that were numerous small cuts and bruises lacing his arm. He hadn't eaten anything in at least a week. The Uzumaki stamina must be the only thing keeping him alive right now. Kurama was still asleep and regenerating, silenced by the source that sent them spiralling back through time.

For an entire week, Naruto could do nothing but starve and stare at an empty void.

...

Sasuke was in a similar predicament, except that he was not starving and most certainly not alone. Itachi stayed with him whenever he could, replacing the wet towel on his forehead with a new one and sitting with him during the cold nights. When it wasn't his brother, Mikoto spent her waking hours with him, and also working around the compound. She helped him bathe and eat, among other things too embarrassing to think about.