Getting help

Jake

I went to see a therapist, as Alex suggested. During the first session, I didn't say much. Talking about it reminded me of what happened. The therapist told me that it was normal after what I had been through recently.

He said in time, I could talk about it, but it would take time. Time was all I had at this point.

After that day, I returned. I didn't want to be someone that shut out their family. It wouldn't do them or me any good.

Alex gave me space even though I told her it wasn't necessary, but she assured me it was okay. At some point, I was going to have to talk about what happened.

I sat there; then I finally started talking. The therapist sat and listened as everything spilled out. All the horrors I endured; how I handled it then came the diagnosis.

"Jake, you have PTSD, which is post-traumatic stress disorder. It's common for anyone who has endured what you did," the therapist assured me.

I sat there and looked at him.

"We don't train people to handle the emotional aspect of someone kidnapping and torturing them. It can break them emotionally and mentally," the therapist explained.

"I want to move on from it," I sighed, rubbing my face in frustration.

"At some point, you will, but it will take a while. You endured this treatment for a year and a half. Jake, it's okay to feel angry and upset. No one says you have to keep this bottled up or deal with it alone. That's why you're here," the therapist advised me.

I couldn't help but think he was right. I didn't want to not talk about it. I didn't know how to talk about it.

I went home and saw Alex playing with Jacob. They were laughing. I missed that. She saw me, "How did the session go?"

"Better, but we need to talk," I said as Alex looked at me. The infamous words, "We need to talk," was never a good sign, but for us, it was. She got up and walked over to me.

"Okay, let's talk," Alex reasoned.

I took Alex's hand, leading her out onto the balcony. I let go of her hand and walked over to the railing. I stood there until she was standing next to me.

"You never know how much you miss being outside or the fresh air until you're not allowed to have it. I spent so many days and months locked in some room, with barely anything to eat or drink. Then they beat me until I passed out. How did you do it, Alex? How did you stay with a man like that?" I looked at Alex with furrowed brows.

"Because Frank was good at manipulating a situation and me. He started as the guy every girl dreams of, and slowly, he worked at my self-esteem until it became physical. Then he almost killed me," Alex whispered. I knew it was hard for her to talk about Frank.

I can see why she ran all those years ago. I didn't before, but I do now. People don't understand when you go through something that traumatic, how it affects you. They think you need to suck it up.

You have nightmares, don't trust, become paranoid, and always worry if it will happen again. All you can do is pray that it never happens again.

Alex wrapped her arms around me. I knew at that moment, even though I wanted to get better, I needed to do it for her and our son. I might have lost time with them, but they lost time with me, too.

I kissed her before reaching down and taking her hand. I lead her off of the balcony and back into the apartment. Jacob had fallen asleep on the floor, playing with his toys. I had some alone time with Alex.

As soon as we hit the bedroom, our clothes were off, and I was making love to her. Damn, her body felt great against mine. I hadn't felt this intimate with anyone in a very long time until I returned to her.

We finished, and she got up, pulling on some clothes. "Where are you going?" I asked, sitting up in bed.

"Well, he's about eighteen months old and likes to escape," Alex said as she smiled at me. I got up and got dressed.

We walked out and saw Erik with Jacob.

"Erik, what are you doing here?" Alex asked irritated.

"Well, I was heading to my apartment when I saw a little man in the hallway. So, I brought him home," Erik explained.

I knew Alex was still angry, but I grabbed her hand to reassure her.

"I know you're angry, Alex, but I still care about you, and I care about Jacob. Jake, not so much," Erik pointed at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Gee, thanks."

She stood there, not smiling. "Well, I will go," Erik said as he said goodbye to Jacob and me.

Once he left, I turned Alex around to face me. "What?" She asked, annoyed.

"That was a little cold, don't you think?" I asked.

"He lied to me, Jake," she snapped.

"I know, Alex," I said, raising my voice. "But at some point, forgive him."

"Did you forgive him?" She said with a look.

"Alex, that's not fair. My reasons differ totally from yours," I said.

"How so? I thought you were dead. I didn't even get involved with Erik for months," she countered.

We stood there. Both of us arguing was getting us nowhere. Both of us had different circumstances, and Erik was the middleman.

What's a couple to do in a situation like this? Well, enlist mediators, and that's what we did. Although I'm not too sure who we got was the best choice, it was our only option at this point.

I had a feeling things were about to get interesting.