Assassination Arc (III)

One day in the cold winter, Yona went to visit the library. She had grown tired of the books that she had borrowed before. She walked through the selves while thinking. '

It should be okay to read advanced book, right? I've reached four years old anyway...'  

Yona had been thinking of upgrading her reading material into much-complicated things, like war education or political stuff or maybe Economic, even if she was not interested in such things. She had been learning about Kouka's history for the last two years and she didn't think that she could stand any more of that. She was going to puke soon.

"And then, I need to visit Gramps too... After all, I need to have a nice chat with him." She mumbled along the way. She thought back at how she first met him and their first talk.

--Flashback--

She felt the need to take a walk. This castle was too suffocating. After years of staying away from the castle, this sudden rule to stay inside it made her feel sick. There were mouths at every corner, eyes, and ears on every wall... It was tiring

'How could I stay comfortably for the first 16 years of my life...? No wonder those people didn't like me. I was far too naive as a princess, too ignorant with this kingdom's affair...'

She left her room quietly and strolled in the corridor. She enjoyed the little private time that she got; enjoying the cold night wind, the fresh air from outside. It had been quite a long time since the last time she stayed outside, sleeping under the roof of stars with only moonlight as her lamp.

Honestly, she was kind of missing that life. After all, it was because she had experienced such kind of hardship, she could grow into a fine strong woman. Otherwise, she would forever be a naive and spoiled princess. 

Now, there was no telling how long she would need to stay in the castle, but she assumed that she would stay there for at least 10 years or so... which was quite a long time.

She walked absentmindedly, passing doors and doors till she comes across with a huge door. 

She blinked, 'What room is this?'

The door was gigantic; maybe because she is this small, the door seems bigger than usual. But still, compared to the other doors, this door was different, both in size and pattern. It was like this is a special room.

She felt curious. Exploring the castle was her new hobby since she didn't have the sense to do it in her previous life. 

Honestly, even though she had once lived in the castle for 16 years, she couldn't say she know this castle layout very well. Maybe because she was too focused on that damned cousin of hers, she became blind in other aspects of her life other than beauty. 

She could feel shame starts to creep inside her mind.

'No, I shouldn't think of it anymore. Focus on now! Let bygone be bygone!' 

She slapped her own cheek. She looked again at the door. She took a deep breath before she opened the door cautiously and took a peek inside. And she was surprised by what she had found. 

'Is this... a library?!'

She walked inside; she was mesmerized with the size of the library. Rows and rows of shelves were organized. it seems like thousands of books are there. She walked slowly while keep glancing around. 

'I had never known that there was another library here. I thought... The only library was the one located beside the King's study room... guess I was wrong this whole time...'

It was silent, but strangely, it was not dark. Not because of the moonlight, no. The lights were all on like there was actually someone here. This small point made her internal alarm ringing. Unconsciously, she put her guard up, sharpening her hearing. She could hear footsteps coming near her, a close to silent footsteps.

Her instinct screamed at her, telling her to flee, but she knew there is no way she could survive in her small untrained body. Sweats were dropping, the heart was beating, and her body was frozen in place... this was exactly what happened when she was still a weak woman. She gritted her teeth, anger was dwelling inside for her weakness.

The footsteps stopped behind her.

"What's the matter?"

Yona gasped. 

'That voice...!' 

She turned around and true enough, she came face to face with the most feared person in entire Kouka, King Joo-Nam. 

'G-grandfather...'

She timidly looked at him. The king was old but his body was still healthy enough to still rule this kingdom. His eyes were full of wisdom, the eyes of those who had seen war. He was staring dagger at her, his gaze was so sharp that it could kill someone on spot.

Yona gulped a little. 

'I had never ever thought that Grandfather's face is this stern. Seems like Uncle Yoo-Hong takes a lot from him, huh...'

Both of them keep staring at each other silently, Kin Joo-Nam was waiting for her answer; Yona was too shocked to answer.

'Ugh... his gaze is even scarier than Uncle's... how am I going to be let off from this?! Arg! Screw the bad timing! Just when I thought I've found rare gems...'

"Well?"

Yona put on her best poker face. Internally, she was actually really panic, didn't know what to do. As far as she remembered, she had never actually met her grandfather before, and thus, she didn't know him well enough to hold a conversation. Even if she knew, she couldn't just hold a conversation with him, not when she was just a mere two years old child.

A few minutes passed again without any answer from Yona. The King seemed not patient enough to wait any longer, so he turned around and started to walk away. Yona breathed out a relieved sigh. 

'Seems like grandfather has lost interest with me...' or so she thought...

"Come with me, Yona. Accompany this old man to drink a cup of tea, will you."

She had never realized that God was so cruel to her until she heard that line.

To be Continue