Prologue

7/14/2018 A/N : Some grammatical edit.

Kouka had gone, destroyed by them, the army of Kai Empire... The Kouka Kingdom, the once great and proud empire had been reduced to nothing but dust...

This was all started by a single miscalculation in Soo-Won's part. They had never thought that Kai Empire had been plotting a surprise attack since the day Kouka defeated them all along. By the time it had happened, Kouka was too vulnerable to defend, even though the five tribes had been reunited. Kouka's strength at the time was too pale in comparison with Kai's full attack.

Seeing Kouka fallen apart broke Yona's heart and soul. No matter what happened, Kouka was and still is her home. She loved Kouka, the kingdom that was once ruled by her father, Emperor Il. She couldn't stand and watch Kouka being burned down. Taking up a sword, she went to the front line, joining those soldiers who were fighting for life.

But she forgot that she was not alone. She forgot that she was accompanied by her friends. She was too furious to realize that she was being reckless. She charged ahead without even thinking of the consequences. Her head was only full of destroying the enemy. 

Her friends didn't tell her to stop and didn't even let out any protest. They just did what she asked them to do. And because of that, she could not stop it when they fell one by one, either shielding her from the enemy's attack or being ambushed in the front line.

When she snapped out of it, it had been too late. She had lost her friends due to her selfishness. Hak, Yoon, Kija, Shin-Ah, Jae-Ha... even Zeno had not come back to her side... every single one of them left her with a smile.

"Don't look so sad, Princess; I'm not going to die. This battle won't kill me that easily" was what Hak said before he set on ambushing the enemy. But he never came back. Never. Her only hope for him to still be alive was crushed to pieces when she found his rotten body months later...

She didn't even know how to cry anymore. Her tears had dried up when the first time nobody came back to her side at the promised time. By the time she found Hak's body, she couldn't shed any tears anymore. 

It's just that, logically, she already knew he had gone but her heart kept screaming for her to still have some belief in him. And when she found this out, it was merely proof that her heart was wrong all along.

She could only stare at that cold body with lifeless eyes. And she went away without even giving a second glance toward it, for Hak had gone, and that body is merely a corpse which could do nothing. It wouldn't calm her down, or even reassured her that everything was a lie. It would do absolutely nothing. 

She was now alone in this cruel world, struggling to keep living in this harsh reality, living in regret. She had failed to save everyone, from those who dear to her till her own home...

Without anywhere else to go, she traveled alone across the kingdom, wandering around. Her first stop was at Fuuga, the capital of Wind Tribe. She thought that maybe she could ask Mundok for some advice, but what she saw makes her heart freeze. 

She found Mundok already in the brink of death, lying on his own blood. She desperately tried to save him, but all he did was giving her a sad smile and apologized before letting out his last breath.

It was like a dagger in her heart. She felt guilt creep inside; she had failed Mundok, in every way. Not only she sent Hak to his own grave, but she also couldn't even save Mundok, someone who was really dear to her, someone who she had considered as her own grandfather. 

She wanted to make a grave for him, but as the war took place, she didn't have the luxury to even dig a grave. There were so many soldiers in every corner. The only thing she could do was to run away, leaving Mundok's corpse there.