Chapter 28

Zane's POV

My body was tense, my mind racing. I was furious that Charles decided to come back, especially after what he'd done to me. I could sense Kayla's concern, so I looked up, my eyes connecting with hers.

"I can't tell you..."

She was ready to protest, but I put an hand up, stopping her before she said anything.

"Because if I do then you'll most likely do something that could get you killed. I can't let that happen, especially after I decided to give you a chance."

I finished, putting my hand down. She looked confused, questions in her eyes that I wouldn't answer. I looked away from her, my body relaxing. My mind calmed down in her presence, my wolf no longer fueling my emotions. I was planning, trying to think of a way to dispose of Charles without letting anyone know what had happened.

No one in this pack was strong enough to even attempt to finish him off, which was why I had to do this. I could tell he was toying with me, staying around the edges of the territory knowing that only I could smell his rancid scent. The thought of him made me want to tear something to shreds, but Kayla's presence calmed me, which was a weird feeling.

I looked at her once more, still seeing the confusion in her eyes. I didn't speak, not knowing which words would give her comfort. She didn't knoe what I was planning. No one would ever know what I was planning.

Kayla's POV

I looked into his beautiful eyes, so tempted to hold him close. I could see the calculating stare, one that I'd seen so often from my father. I knew he was planning something, and honestly, I was concerned. I had just got him back after my stupid mistake, I couldn't afford to lose him again.

"Zane... Whatever you're thinking... Please, consider your friends. Don't do anything rash, please.."

I was basically begging him to be careful with whatever he planned to do, not knowing when or where it would take place. Sure, I could always ask his wolf, but that would be intruding on something that I obviously wasn't supposed to know about. My heart clenched in my chest at the thought of him being injured during this, or worse.

We hadn't been mates long, but I still felt feelings for him that I hadn't felt for anyone else.

"Kayla, I can't promise that I won't come back unharmed.. But I promise this.. I will come back, to give you a chance at showing me what a mate is meant to do."

He sounded so sure that he would come back, but even I knew that he was scared. I could even feel the terror flowing through our bond, letting me know he wasn't as confident as he sounded. I was so nervous for him, so scared that I wouldn't get to show him love, show him how to love.

"Can I at least know when this is going to happen?"

I asked, my voice a little shaky. I couldn't look at him, my hands shaking a little as I thought of the possible outcomes of all this. My wolf was whimpering, telling me to get him to change his mind. Without warning, his hand cupped my chin, making me look at him. Our eyes connected, a spark of excitement shooting through me when I felt the bond strengthen a bit.

His face moved closer until his lips were on mine, sending wave after wave of happiness through me. The kiss was a bit hesitant, but after what I put him through it was understandable. A few seconds passed before we broke apart, and I looked up into his eyes, seeing them looking into mine gently.

"Tonight.. I will return to you, there's no doubt about that."

I nodded, my nerves calmed slightly. I watched as he moved away slightly, his hand grabbing mine.

"I know I haven't been the best since I got back, but I wanted to at least kiss you once.."

He placed something in mine, closing my hand around it before he left the room, leaving me to my own thoughts. When I opened my hand, inside was a necklace with a extravagant carving on it. It was of our two wolves together, intertwining with each other, pure bliss on their faces.

I know these past two chapters have been short, but there's a reason. Next chapter will be the finale of this book and will have an extra long chapter. Now, you all will decide if there is to be another book or not. Leave a comment and let me know if I should make a sequel or leave it with one more chapter.

-Deamun