Chapter 21

Above is Charles
-Deamun

Aria's POV:

"It's been 2 weeks! Where could he have possibly gone?"

Kayla was pacing in her office, running her hands through her hair. She claimed she felt his inner turmoil, that he was in serious danger. The problem was that since they had a broken mate bond, Kayla couldn't successfully track him down.

I let out a sigh, feeling slightly angry. I was mostly hurt, but I guess I could see where he was coming from. In the past, no one had been nice to him, let alone help him under the horrific circumstances. But no one really helped me either.
"I've already asked the trackers to start looking for him. They've already stated that he's left the territory in search of something, but they haven't confirmed what just yet."

Kayla nodded, letting out a small sigh of frustration.
"It just seems stupid that he would be hunting something outside the territory, since that's where he has been ever since the... You know..."

Nothing made sense anymore, but I was going to sort through this and have it make sense.
"So, are we going to go get him? Or is it too dangerous since we haven't located him yet?"

Kayla looked at me, knowing that one could be dangerous and one could help him. She let out a small sigh, walking towards the window.
"I guess we have to wait. As much as I want to go out there and find him, we have no clue who he's after or who he might be with."

I nodded, knowing that her wolf was probably scolding her for making that decision. Both of our wolves just wanted him back, and they were a bit angry that they couldn't have him yet.

"But we should be ready to leave when they find him. So we can get there quickly."
Kayla turned back toward me, looking at me with seriousness in her eyes. Nothing would stop her from having her mate back in her sights. Not even him.

Zane's POV:

I couldn't hear my wolf. I couldn't feel him or sense him. That was a really big problem. He was usually there when I blocked him out, but I usually only blocked him out for a day or so. I hadn't let him speak or come out in these two weeks, knowing that he would just be telling me to go back or something like that.

I sat at my camp right now, far away from the border I crossed a while ago. The fire had died and the coals were cooling down. I pushed myself to my feet, knowing I had to keep moving. Any supernatural nearby would be able to sense that I lost my wolf, and if Charles found me, I would definitely die now.

What I didn't know was that my body was slowly weakening, since I've never eaten human food after I left and my gut was full of bacteria. Without my wolf, my immune system was weakening and I was slowly becoming more sick as time passed. I just couldn't feel it yet.

I kept an eye out, listening for any abnormal sounds that would tell me of another supernatural nearby. I hadn't heard anything yet, but if one was nearby, it would make a mistake sooner or later and I would hear it.

After a while of traveling, I finally felt eyes trained on me. It had a familiar feeling, but it was also somewhat foreign. I couldn't tell who or what it was, so I just kept moving cautiously. Well, until a chuckle came out from behind me.

"Well, isn't it my dear old friend Zane. I see you haven't got your wolf this time, or other wolves from your pack."
He spit out the word pack, almost like it was dirt in his mouth. He smiled, showing his fangs that glinted in the sunlight.
"You just made this too easy. You really have."

I knew what he was thinking. There was a rumor in the vampire and wolf shifter world. The rumor was, if a vampire bit and injected his venom into a wolf shifter without his wolf, it would weaken the immune system by a lot and would slowly kill the wolf off. It hadn't been tried before, which was why it was still a rumor. But he was willing to try it out.

I backed away, knowing I couldn't fight him in the state I was in.
"You're just a coward. Coming to kill me off when I can't defend myself."

Charles just laughed, a weird look in his eyes.
"You wouldn't want to stand in the way of research, would you?"
He chuckled, moving forward before grabbing me in a headlock.
"There's no way out for you. Just give in."

I struggled in his grasp, finding I was just as weak as a human. This infuriated me, but I couldn't do anything about it. A slight yelp escaped me when he pushed his fangs in aggressively, sucking some if my blood out before injecting a crap ton of venom into my blood stream.

Almost instantly, I felt the effects take place. My muscles began to shake and I couldn't get up just yet. Charles laughed, my blood on his chin. He waved goodbye, rushing out of my sight. My body quivered and shook, though I had the feeling that would pass soon. But the rumor was now confirmed as true.

There was nothing that anyone could do now, unless someone had figured out how to cure it before hand. I slowly pulled myself to safety, letting my body collapse before I took short, shallow breaths. But I couldn't do anything for the blackness slowly creeping into my vision.

Just before I blacked out, I felt a very familiar presence in my mind. Lyall had returned.