Chapter 16

The pack picked me up, not so carefully, and carried me back to the pack house. They put me in Kayla's bedroom, closing and locking the door. Like I couldn't bust through it anyway. My body was relaxed, even when the tranquilizer started to wear off.

Kayla stood on the opposite side of the room, avoiding eye contact with me. I put my paws under me, pushing myself up. I looked at her with a blank stare, my head held low. My eyes were very dull, and if I had been snarling, I would have drool dripping of my jaws. I would look like a completely rabid wolf.

Kayla looks like she's pleading with me to change back, looking like she wants to talk to me. If she wants to talk, she can do it while I'm still in wolf form. And if she got any closer, my jaws would close around the closest thing I could grab.

You're funny. I wouldn't let you lay a hand on her, even if she did reject us.

My wolf snarled in my head, making me flinch a little. He hadn't sounded that aggressive about protecting her before, but I guess that being close to her made him protective again. It sucked though, since now I couldn't carry out any of my threats against her.

I began to pace, my conflicted emotions making me snarl and whimper at different times. Sure, my mind may have snapped. But after a few minutes you feel all of the emotion you had trapped inside you. It's basically like a dam that has broken. Your emotions flood out like a wave.

Though I still felt wild, I had gained my emotions back. I couldn't control my shift, and I shifted back into human form. I didn't bother covering myself, just crossed my arms while I gazed at her with my wolf's blood red eyes. She blushed, looking away and clearing her throat.

I huffed, not looking away. If she wanted to tell me something, she could do it here and now. The only problem was that she hadn't made a single sound, only looking away with a blush on her cheeks. I knew she could feel my angered glare, but I didn't care if she felt any sort of fear.

"I would say you're wasting my time, but I haven't got anywhere to be. Well, other then protecting your pathetic pack from my kind. By the way, how's that turning out for you, not having a protector?"

This caught Kaylas attention, and she glanced up briefly. A flash of something went through her eyes, before she glanced away again.

"It's going well. Our warriors are more than capable."

I chuckled, hearing the lies in her voice. I knew there had to be a few deaths ever since my capture. Her warriors were strong, but very slow.

"Tell that to the kids I rescued while your warriors were out of breath half way through the run."

I chuckled, leaning against a nearby wall. I could feel that my words had angered her. They had angered her greatly. She was now a few feet in front of me, her wolf showing her power. I could feel the pressure of her silent command, wanting my will to break under the weight of her own. Even if she was my mate, her alpha instincts took over before others did.

My own instincts took over, and I stood up, my arms now hanging at my sides.

"Don't try to command me, pup. I have the same rank as you, so there's no way you could possibly make me submit."

I snarled out the words, feeling the itching urge to shift take over my body. I held Lyall back, my eyes never leaving hers. I wouldn't look away until she did, growls bubbling up in my chest. I could sense that people were approaching, seemingly concerned.

I heard the door open, but I didn't glance away. Quiet mutters entered my ears, Kayla hearing them as well. She glanced away, deeming me victor. The growling stopped as soon as she looked away, and I stood up straight. My eyes finally traveled to the door, narrowing at the sight before me.