Chapter 1

Vote and comment if you enjoyed! Don't be an overly done piece of roasted rutabaga!

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

Wesley South ran a hand through his damp hair, forcing the thick locks back over his forehead and out of his eyes so he could scan the playing field in full view.

A player of the opposing color ran straight at him from the left, so he immediately dived out of the way with the football clutched firmly in his arms, and one hand securely placing his helmet down on his head.

He could hear his coach screaming something in his direction, but he couldn't make out a single word. He was too busy running as fast as he could in the opposite direction, heading for the goal posts shaped like a big, leering letter 'V' on the opposite side.

He sprinted the length of the field, dodging legions of green-clothed football players to slide through the opening.

Touchdown...

He closed his eyes for a beat, but his face remained stony and cold. In a few seconds, the rest of the players all piled around him and covered him in a jostling pile of red, orange and white. Their arms enclosed him in a cage on the lawn as his team and the rest of Lakewood streamed onto the field.

Wesley pushed himself up on one elbow and slightly turned his head to the left. He could see the other team, rejection written on their faces, dejectedly throwing down their chest guards and beating the floor with their fists.

Better them than me, he thought. 

As soon as the rest of his team got off of him, he slapped on a false, cheery smile and pumped a hand in the air.

"Lakewood!"

The cheering renewed, this time accentuated with screams and whistles as everyone surged forward to raise their hands as well and join in the victory.

Wesley suppressed a sigh and tried to look excited about the entire ordeal. It just wouldn't do for the school's football captain to look nothing other than cocky, happy, confident, and strong. Especially after winning a game.

But Wesley was none of those things. All he wanted to do was go home to his mother and make sure nothing happened. Every day was a miracle day for her.

He needed to go.

Unfortunately, that was easier said than done.

He maneuvered his body past the hordes of screaming highschoolers, raising his arms over heads and smiling like a lunatic all the while.

When he finally managed to make it to the other side of the mass, he tripped over his own untied shoes and stumbled right into the last person he ever wanted to stumble into.

The base of his palms connected with a pair of small, round shoulders, and his eyes met a pair of deceivingly wide and innocent ones.

"Hey, Wes. I saw you out there from the bleachers. You were like really good."

Wesley pursed his lip, took off his helmet and put on another one of his fake, dazzling smiles.

"You did, did you? Didn't look as bad from up there."

Gwen Goldstorm's lips curved up in a small smile and she pulled up her pair of tinted shades.

"I bet it didn't. Still. You were amazing."

Wesley put the palm of his hand up his neck and looked around as if he was searching for something.

"Yeah. You know, I need to-"