Chapter 6

Calypso's POV

Amelie and Vanessa sit on either side of me at a plastic rectangular table. To my right Amelie talks about what classes she hopes to be in, I can see a glimmer of hunger for knowledge in her dark chocolate brown eyes. Vanessa on the other side could not care more her short curls jumping around with her head as her hazel eyes land on every surface.

We are sitting in the cafeteria. There must be at least 100 kids attending this school, and they are all here in one room.
People chatter loudly among tables. We are waiting for the boys because we have not met them and we are supposed to sit with our dorm ' buddies' but there is no one else I would sit with. I do not know anyone else.
The room itself is white but seems like a rainbow with all the colors of dresses that other young woman wear. At the very back of the room is a large half circle table.
I assume that is where the headmistress sits with her staff.
The tall ceilings bear many poster that have crests on them, they must be the ones of people attending; I find mine to the far left but still in the middle. I quickly put my head down. When my head was up my neck was exposed and I hate when my neck is out in the open.
" Hello beautiful." A red haired boy sings.
I look up at his brown eyes and cringe. While I am used to being looked at, no one has ever dared say anything.
That is when I realize the other two boys behind him. A a fair skinned blonde boy and a boy with apricot hair to match his skin. They both have grins plastered on their faces.
" What is it?" The blonde boy teases.
I huff. " I just don't understand how three hooligans manage to have so much confidence when talking to women." Beside me I can hear Vanessa and Amelie stifle laughs.
" Hooligans," The blonde boy says in a fake hurt voice. He sits down across from us along with the rest of his apparent friends. " Ouch."
The dark skinned boy smirks and readjust himself on the bench. " Just call me Daquan. This is Aubrey," he says pointing to the red haired boy. " And this is James."
My jaw almost drops. This is who I am going to spend four years with?
" Well, I am Vanessa and this is Amelie and Calypso." Vanessa cheerily states.
The boys look between us as we do the same.
Daquan has dark deep inset eyes and apricot hair and skin. His cheek bones are prominent as are his large pink lips.
James is blonde very, very blonde. His eyes are a gray blue. They look so bright against his fair skin. He has very noticeable biceps that draw my attention to his arms where scars pepper his skin.
Hair so red it looks like paint. Aubrey has thin lips and many freckles on his nose and under his green eyes. His eye brows are also reddish brown. He licks his lips which snaps be back to reality.
" Well then," I say reverting my eyes back to the wall instead of the handsome boys. " I think  we can continue figuring each other out later."
" Yes." James says.

Amelie and Vanessa say something behind me. I can sense that it us something about how the boys were talking to us.
We all wait.
Finally Ms. Marigold appears at the table with her hands open as if she wants to embrace the whole room. " Welcome to our school one and all. We can all eat in just a moment, but there are a few things we must address first," She says quickly return her hands to her sides.         " First all students must know that  just because there are co gender dorms does not permit any funny buisness," Is she referring to sex?
" Second I want to introduce three people. The first is Princess Reagan Baulair."
As soon as the name is said a girl in a magenta dress rises. She is close to the back where Ms. Marigold is standing.
" Ms. Marigold." She says sweetly.
" Thank you, " Ms. Marigold continues. " The second is Prince Charlie Sheen."
He stands. " Ms. Marigold."
" Thank you. The third is a young woman who helps let us keep the university on the border," She stops and smiles warmly. " Princess Calypso Calyx of Dilonix."
Anxiety eats at my insides as I stand. My hands tremble so I stand and clench them. " Ms. Marigold." I say just like everyone else.  I feel like I have been standing forever but she says ' thank you' as a signal to sit back down just like everyone else.

When I do, the boys and the girls that share my dorm stare at me.
" Calypso Calyx." Murmurs James.
" Yes that is my name, so?" I reply annoyed.
" Wait," James says looking me in the eye.  
" Does mean that you are the current holder of the-"
I cough and shoot him a warning look. " Yes I am the current holder of the crown princess." 
He looks at me as is I grown a second head. Unlike him I guide my body to look at the large table.
Ms. Marigold had been talking about some rules and the abruptly stopped and checked her  watch. She clears her throat. " Now let me stop rambling on so we can eat. But first...professor Solnetaire."
A tall and thin man walks onto the raised platform so he is directly in front of the table.
" Before we eat I would like to have a moment of silence for the king of Averical, who has just lost a daughter to sickness." His surprisingly low voice booms through the silent chamber.
We all bow our heads but my mind keeps ticking.

I knew about the Baulair daughter who died after falling ill, but I didn't know it was common knowledge.

Does James know about my powers?

Why is there such an emphasis on eating, is there going to be an invasion or something?

A couple minutes later food is served and the loud chatter starts up again. I grab at banana bread and eat very lady like, taking bites not big enough to actually fill my stomach. I also ate a sandwich and lemonade.
It reminded me of springs at the castle. Out on the deck with mother sipping iced lemonade and the wind blowing our hair, into a whipped mess.
The whole time I eat I can see James glare up at me. If I didn't know that he knows about my powers I would think he has a crush on me.
Daquan and Vanessa both have grins plastered on their lips, also sneaking looks at each other. Perhaps I need to remind them of the ' no funny business rule' because I sure do not want to hear anything.

I nearly choke on my lemonade as an ear splitting siren sings through out the room. I squirm as I put my hands to my head to cover my ears.
Then without warning the lights go out and so does the siren.
What is happening?