Chapter 1

" Calypso, darling, come." Mother dotes on me as I step into the carriage. It is deep purple crested in silver, our royal family's colors, the silver: to show our purity of heart. The indigo has always been considered royal.
Even though I think one day a king just thought it was a beautiful color.
The morning sun makes the dew still on the garden shine and glint with such force that I cover my eyes with the back of my hand.
" Yes, of course. Would not want to keep father waiting." I grumble, flattening my gown down.
My mother laughs a short laugh. " Don't be upset. This is a special day for him...and you too." She says warnenling. I have always known that the day that I am sent off to Amorga: University of Ability and Court for young Royalty, he has praised this day.

As we come upon the west wing, I begin to panic. A clenching sensation squeezes at my throat and my stomach twist into knots with each breath. And though my heart pounds I have grown up knowing how to conceal my discomfort, even from mother.
Yet just when I think the feeling has gone, the carriage doors swing open and I know I must go-- but my legs go stiff and do not move, then they unfreeze and take a wobbling step onto the frozen stone ground. In contrast to how they felt a moment ago, my legs are now weak and feel as if they could break in an instant.
I continue walking closer to the safety of my home, the castle, and draw my cloak around me. The warm wolf hair collar brushes my neck and sends warmth down my spine.

===================
My father is tall and muscular. Not as much as the peasants say, but he can most definitely hold his own. He also has caramel hair that curls like golden ribbon. Despite the fact that his eyes are icy blue they radiat warmth.
Out of the three of us I look more like father than my sister and brother, Jesse and Rye. Jesse is only eight but I know she will be a very pretty woman, she has my mother's brown hair and eyes. Rye's hair is also very dark, espresso bean dark we say. He has golden eyes that will surely catch the eye of many girls, but he is only eleven and has at least six years before he must think about marriage.
I on the other hand do have to think about marriage. Mostly because I am of age and because father is aging, and sadly, not well.
Mother says my honey hair and sapphire eyes will be seen as the gifts they are.

" Princess Calypso, your things are being transported to their destination now." My maid Delia says.
" Thank you." I wave my hand dismissing her.
She does not speak but instead start an intricate braid. My reflection in the mirror make me feel confidence. My slender face is extenuated by small locks purposely left out from the braid.
Tan skin is covered by a quite simple dress. It is of course mostly purple and settles at my waist before slightly enlarging. It has complex silver embroidery on the sleeves, bottom, neck line, and waist. The dress does not come over my shoulders but instead rests on my collar bones. The sleeves expand slowly, until by the time they reach my hands they are a good two inches from my wrist.
" Your father has almost they whole court here today," Delia chuckles a little. " He is very proud."
She finishes her words as she completes the braid. I stand and face her, the light from the window making me squint to see her. " And I will keep him prideful and give him something to show." I say with a queenly voice.
Delia smiles. " Well, you do that for him; but also don't let fear stop you from doing things for you."
" I will take your advice to heart." I responded. Delia could lose her high position if anyone knew that she spoke to me as a friend instead of a maid. But she is all I have to confide in .
That looks really bad. An seventeen year old using a married mid aged woman as a consultant, but, it is how it is.

I arrive last to the throne room. Mother and father lounge in their thrones comfortably while others stand to the side, leaving an open floor.
I bow and sweetly say. " Father, mother."
All my father does is beam at me. " Today we see off princess Calypso Calyx. A beautiful woman and future queen of our kingdom!" He booms.

=================
After festivities and small chatter exchanges we move outside into the bitter cold. I now have a fur cloak pulled and tucked into itself to keep me warm and many more blankets await me in the carriage.
Everyone looks at me as a coach man opens the small door. " Your carriage your majesty."
I crawl inside and settle myself in before popping my head out near the glass. "Goodbye." I whisper to myself.

I fasten down the curtains over the windows and gulp down bile.
Suddenly my crown feels much heavier.