The Young

Professor Ellis had a list of possible Blood Mages when I called him. There was one name that stood out. A twelve-year-old boy who was the latest descendant of a family called Goodman. It was unlikely that he was a practitioner at his age. The majority of people with supernatural talent came into their own as teenagers. I was an exception, but my power had been jump-started when I almost drowned.

When Nick heard about the kid he said, "I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but it bugs me that he's going after a kid again. Why is it always the young Mages?"

"Because there are bold Blood Mages and their are old Blood Mages, but there are not old bold Blood Mages," Marva said. "It's very unlikely he could catch another experienced Mage off guard. Also, the one who are just coming into their power are ripe like a peach. A twelve-year-old boy would be almost the perfect sacrifice. Where do you think the legend of virgin sacrifice came from?"

"You seem to know more about this sort of think than the average Witch," Nick said.

Marva snorted. "I need to know my enemy. Mages and Witches have always been opposites. Life Magic vs. Death Magic."

"I alway thought of Necromancers as being the ones with Death Magic."

She shook her head. "Necromancers deal with Spirit Magic. Blood Mages kill to create their magic."

"Wow, you are cold," Leopold said. "He's just a kid. He hasn't done anything to deserve your hatred."

Harding said, "She does have point. If we approach the Goodman family with full disclosure, they might be willing to help us catch Dubois."

"If we can be comfortable using a kid that way," Nick said. "I wouldn't be, but I guess I don't really get a vote."

"This kid is the one person who is obviously vulnerable at this point. Dubois has got to know that you are all talking to each other. If the family is willing, I think it would be our best bet to catch him," Harding said.

"I might have to side with Nick on this," I said. "The rest of us are adults and can consent to help catch him. You're talking about asking a boy's parents if it's all right to use him as bait."

"The boy's already in as much danger as we are," Marva said. "Maybe more. It can't hurt to ask."

"Very well, Genevieve and I will go talk with the boy and his parents," Harding said.

"Dont Father McCabe and I get a vote in this?" Matthew asked.

"I'm the only one here with any official authority and I say the two of us will go talk with them. You can voice your opinion, but it's not going to change my mind. What have you got to say?"

Father McCabe said, "This boy may be young, but I'm thinking if he knows about his family's history, he'll want to help get rid of this threat to everyone. Age is no measure of bravery."

"We don't know anything about him. His parents might not have told him of his heritage. Blood Mages share the skipping of generations Necromancers have. Ellis didn't say anything about whether his father is a practicing Mage. The kid might not even have any power."

"Well we're going to go find out," Harding said.