Fit to be Buried

"Can I talk to you alone?" Agent Harding asked.

"Sure, let's go out on the back deck," I said.

When we got there she asked, "How sure are you that he won't just bury Father Serrano and run away again?"

I looked out at the garden for long moment. "It doesn't fit with what we've learned about him. I think he is desperate. Nick told me that his friend Leopold has been searching for supernatural deaths that could have been committed by Dubious aka Sanders. He hasn't found any since 1994. I suppose they could have missed something, but think of how much harder it is to hide things now that we have the world wide web. He can't hide his real identity. He was probably up in Alaska for a while, but now that he's here, I'm pretty sure he has to get a big jolt as it were. Which means he wants to kill as many of us at once."

"Is it hard to kill this guy?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why hasn't one of his victims fought back and killed him?"

"As far as I know, he doesn't have any special way to keep from dying besides the obvious magic keeping him around longer then he should be."

"So we can just shoot him?"

"Harding, are you planning on killing him?"

"If necessary. Why, do you have a better idea? Should we lock him up forever?"

"If we're right, he wouldn't last long in prison. There won't be anyone for him to kill to live."

"What was that about draining him of his victims lives?"

"It was just an idea I had, I don't think it's necessary, but it might be an option."

Nick appeared next to us. "I hate to interrupt, but Leopold just pulled up in a cab. I'd like you to come meet him."

I followed him back into the house. Leopold was a blond fellow in his 30s wearing an old-fashioned suit and thick black-framed glasses. He looked like a reporter from the golden age of newspapers. He held out his hand with a smile.

"It's nice to meet you in person. I was beginning to feel like a cyber stalker," he said.

"I'm a big fan of your great uncle's work," I said.

"He would have been one of yours. He always wished he could have been on TV."

I sighed. "It was only once. Why do people keep bringing it up?"

"Because you were so good. You should do it again," Matthew said. "I'm Matthew."

"Yeah, I've been stalking you too. I haven't found anything out about your other friends."

"I'm father McCabe. My friend has been captured by this man." McCabe shook his hand.

"And I'm Marva, a Witch. I guess he must be after me as well," Marva said. "You're the reporter who's related to a Necromancer. Now we're all up to date. Why doesn't Genevieve call her old teacher and find out what Blood Mage he might be after?"