Y/N's POV
Word Count: 1,463

     Preston cleared his throat, on purpose, I might add. He certainly did like having all the attention. Everyone was staring at Preston. Most of the campers didn't seem to care, but at least they showed respect. However, there was Max, who outwardly did his best to offend Preston by looking away.
     Since Preston was used to that kind of behavior, he didn't bat an eye. He just left it alone. "Okay," he started. "I was originally planning on having us act out The Odyssey, but with our materials and bad acting we couldn't do it justice. So, I came up with something on my own. It's called-"
     "Preston!", Gwen hollered. Everyone turned their heads to see her in the way back of the crowd. "We agreed that you wouldn't make your own play! You're not allowed to do that."
     I didn't get why Preston couldn't write his own play. Maybe he was notorious for being inappropriate? There was no answer that made sense. I decided to just forget about it. "Well, Gwen, there aren't any plays that we could do!", Preston argued.
     "That's a lie! Look, Preston, we can't let you write your own play!", Gwen asserted. I balled my fists. It was kind of unfair. Shouldn't they let him express himself? I don't see what's wrong with him making a play. For some reason, I wanted to dwell on it. "Preston, you've got two options. Do your play that you had planned before or do nothing!"
Preston huffed. He looked to the ground. I seen a little frown emerge. "Fine. I think it's best if we just don't do the play.", Preston concluded. He sluggishly walked offstage. "I think I might want to go on a walk instead." He headed backstage. Instead of going back onto the stage, he continued walking into the forest behind the stage.
     Slowly, everyone began to separate into their own little circles or walk away. I couldn't understand how everyone at Campbell could just forget about things right after they had happened.
     Instead of trying to find Max, I went into the woods and followed the same path Preston had taken. His footprints were easily visible in the soft mud, so finding him wasn't too difficult.

     Finally, Preston's footprints ended. I found him sitting under a tree. He was looking out into the distance, he hadn't noticed me. I didn't want to take away from his moment, so I crept up behind him. The leaves made a light crunching sound as I treaded across them. To steady my crouched position, I grabbed a sturdy tree branch.
     Preston was still looking into the distance. He was no mind to me, directly behind him. I didn't think he noticed me, but it seemed that I was wrong. "You're allowed to talk, you know.", Preston sassed.
     I wasn't angry at him. He was being a little snarky, but I couldn't have blamed him. "Sorry about what happened.", I whispered. Since I hadn't spoken in a while, everything wanted to come out as a whisper. I tried raising my voice to a normal volume. "It wasn't really fair. I think your play would've been good."
     I wasn't particularly sure that his play would've been any good, but I was the type to raise spirits. I wouldn't flag myself as a direct liar, but sometimes it was only right to lies little. "It would've been very good.", Preston agreed. Conceited much? "I had everything planned out, too. It was supposed to be my backup."
     The more he talked, the more I wanted to believe him. I wanted to help him, but there wasn't really anything I could do. The worst part was the fact that today was his fourteenth birthday. "We could probably do this again sometime, you know. I could help," I offered. "I can do script writing. Well, I can do any kind of writing, but you get the picture."
     "Thanks," Preston started. "I think that if we begged we could get another day to do the play. I'd get more time to plan and pick an actual play, or maybe write one and have the counselors approve it. I don't know." Preston brought a finger to his lips and scrunched up his face. He was doubtful.
     I quickly adjusted my bra strap when he looked away. It had been digging into me all day, and my skin was getting irritated. Why is my wardrobe out to get me? I swear to God I'm a snap away from wigging out. Today's been terrible. "Preston, I'll figure something out so that everything ends up being fair.", I assured him. In reality, I didn't really know if I could make that happen or not. "I'll go talk to David. I've got him wrapped around my finger, he really likes me."

     I felt bad about using David for my own personal gain, but I wasn't going to leave Preston hanging. As I had done before, I knocked three times on David's door.
     And he answered. "Hello!", he chirped. I smiled ear to ear. "Do you need to talk to me?"
     What I needed to say wasn't urgent, nor was it the end of the world, but I knew that I had to milk it. "Yes!", I whined. "Really badly. I-I don't want to talk about it out here, though. Can I please come in?"
     I puffed out my bottom lip, just a little bit. David smiled. "You can always come in!", he insisted. He stepped aside. I walked in and made my way to the all-too-familiar counseling table. I sat at one end, and he sat at the other. "What can I help you with?"
     "It's about earlier.", I started. "Preston is having a really difficult time dealing with not being able to put on his play. I promised him that I'd make sure he could do his own play, but I don't think I have the power to make that happen." I looked to the floor and fiddled with my fingers. "It's just that, well, it's his birthday and all. It's his day, and it had to turn out like this."
     I knew that last part would crack him. David started sniffling. Are you seriously about to cry? "I understand.", he replied. "But, according to the Camp Campbell rules, I can't let him have his way."
You've got to be kidding me. "But David," I cried. "I would be such a bad friend if I couldn't help him!"
     I was running out of things to say. "Well, I suppose I could talk to Gwen. But I don't think she'll allow it.", David negotiated.
     Gwen? But she's not even in charge! I decided that if I complained any more, it'd make things worse. I had to leave things where they were at. "Okay," I told him. "I just hope everything works itself out."
     "It will. We'll make it up to him.", David promised.
     The only real way to "make it up to him" was with a party or some sort of celebration. So, I threw out the idea. "We could give Preston a surprise party.", I suggested. "That could make him feel better. How much does a cake cost? Could we afford to set up a little party? Do we have funding for pizza? What about streamers? Oh, and don't forget-"
     "Y/N!", David yelled. I scooted back in my chair. I bit my lip. "Slow down. It's okay, I'll figure it all out. Now, that's a great idea. I think that Preston would really appreciate a party. Would you grab a few friends and take them to my office? Don't bring too many. We could use those people to help decorate and get things ready. I'm sure Gwen would be okay with this."
     My eyes lit up. "Really?", I asked. I smiled from ear to ear. "That's awesome! Okay, I'll be back very soon!" I skipped out of his office to go round up a few people.
     This shouldn't be so difficult. Or so I thought.
__________________________
A/N - I'm literally losing my mind. 300 reads? That's nuts! I love you guys so much and I can't even believe the support I'm getting. I know this chapter was a little dry, but the next chapter will be pretty interesting. I'm starting to get a wee bit of writer's block, and marching band season is starting, so things might get a little rocky. But trust me, it'll be worth it! ☁️

Comment Question of the Chapter:

How do you feel about Preston? I feel like while he's a little annoying, I still really like him because he's a really passionate kid going after his dreams. He's a really charming character and he's super lovable at times.

 He's a really charming character and he's super lovable at times