2

Chapter 2 - My Parents' Tour

It was the second Friday of the school year, and nothing changed. At all. I was just looking forward to the weekend coming up and sleeping in. I was literally your average loner that had no socialization, no phone, but some serious attitude. I need to man up. Yup.

Once again after school, I left quick enough so Lucas didn't get the chance to look at me in the music room. He sometimes talked to me, asking me if I was shy or something. I would give a reply saying it had nothing to do with him and tell him to not get so flattered. I always had this itching manner to talk to popular kids that way. I just assumed all of them were a bunch of jerks.

I walked home as usual, with the same flashy car passing by me everyday after school. I wish I could drive. My parents were way too busy to admit me into driving classes. I was really surprised they were home early today. They came an hour later than I did, but I was happy.

"Didn't go to Marcello's house or something?" I said, running down the stairs and stopping before them. My mom tucked in a strand of my hair as my dad grinned and loosened his tie.

"Actually, we did," he replied. "We had a lot of talking to do about the tour we're going on, on Sunday." I pulled in my eye brows in confusion.

"What tour?"

"Remember we told you we have our official business fair around the world? We have 5 places to go to, each one taking around two weeks," my mother explained. I choked.

"That's like two months! So, you'll be away from home for two months?!" I exclaimed. My parents smiled and my dad grabbed my cheek.

"Don't worry honey, Marcello knew you would freak out and arranged a plan for you to stay safe until we come back," he said reassuringly. What the heck? My parents were rarely home so it made no difference, but I was still freaking out about this.

"Dad, I don't even know how to cook," I said, crossing my arms across my chest.

"That's the least of your worries," my mother said, walking into the kitchen as I followed her. "It'll be good training for you to learn and we've also got a nice maid who will come three times a week."

"Do you guys have to go? I mean, I can be kidnapped or murdered for all you know!" I said. My parents laughed as I bent over the island. "Come on, I'll be all alone in the friggin' house."

"Don't worry, pumpkin," my dad said. "Marcello has a babysitter for you."

"A what?" I said in utter disbelief. "I'm not five, dad."

"Well, who's the one complaining about being all alone?" my mom said. I opened my mouth and closed it. Touché. I stammered as I followed them upstairs like a sickening puppy.

"Well, w‐what if that babysitter isn't very responsible?" I said. My dad made me stop at their doorstep and smirked at me.

"Marcello trusts him completely, and don't worry, he'll keep you company," he said.

"Wait, my babysitter's a he?" I said astonished. You've got to be kidding me.

"Come on, you need to get along with your friends and make new ones, too," my mother encouraged me from somewhere in their bedroom. "We've met the boy before and he's quite a gentleman." I groaned as dad gave me an apologetic smile and closed the door.

I just hope that he's not a rapist or something.

...

The next day, my parents were all packed up and ready to go to the tour tomorrow, and they were busier than usual. I was sitting on the porch, eating a granola bar and watching my parents talk to Marcello on our driveway. I looked to the left to see my neighbor gardening up her porch, and if I stretched enough, I could see the large weeds growing on the house to my right. I cupped my forehead and sighed.