I put on my hoodie and ran to my math class. Cleaning up would bring no new impression on me either way. Unfortunately, I was late none the less as I entered the large classroom filled with 30 students watching me step in, and a displeased teacher.

  "You're. Late," she punctuated. A couple of students snickered and I rolled my eyes. "I saw what you did there with your eyes, young lady. And please put down your hoodie, it's not proper manners." My jaw tightened as I took it off and the snickers turned into laughter as the teacher looked at me like I was a horror show 

 "Looks like someone's mouth was on their head to drink coffee," a student said and everyone cracked up.

  "I don't even drink caffeine, smartass," I said. While the teacher shook her head, I walked all the way to the back of the classroom. I was sticky for the rest of the period, and all I did was look out the window as the sunshine skirted over the streets. I already knew everyone so the introductions didn't impact me that much.

 It was like this for bio...for English...and finally lunch. I had to go through some of the most obnoxious people, including Brigit, and I was glad I was able to clean myself to save myself the embarrassment. At lunch, I wasn't surprised to see the usual commotion at that particular table near the large window in the cafeteria. It's where the pops ﴾as I call them﴿ usually sit, Brigit, Dexter, Zac, Aspen, Becky, Cyrus.

And oh my God, Lucas.

He's like a magnet to every girl and he knows it. He's probably the richest, too, with those two ears pierced and blonde hair. His fame annoyed me to death sometimes.

  "What're you looking at?" said a girly voice. I pulled my gaze away from the table and turned to see Aspen, Brigit's bestfriend. "Do not even try to take Dexter away from me." I furrowed my brows as she left. First of all, I had done nothing to get Dexter's attention, and second of all, I wasn't even looking at him.

  I decided to just not eat lunch and walked out of the cafeteria. I swung my bag around and walked to the empty hallway to the music room. It was empty and dark with tiny windows lined up at the top. Mr. Hanson is probably the only teacher that liked me, and the only teacher I liked back...for now.

  "Well, hey, baldy!" I called, my voice echoing through the sliver of dust in a sun ray. I saw a chubby, short man turn around from the gloom and give me a toothy grin. 

  "Oh, Maya! Look who's early!" he said. I smiled and walked towards him. "Didn't you eat lunch?"

  "Not in front of them," I said. He gave me a sympathetic smile and went to the guitar shelves. "May I have a warm up. I know I still suck at playing guitar even though I've tried for three years."

  "You'll get there, don't you worry, you brunette," he said, chuckling. I am naturally blonde but i dyed my hair. He got out a ebony guitar case and put it out in front of me. "Is all yours. I have some things to check up on, so call me if you need me." I nodded and he disappeared into the music office. 

  I took out my white, bordered with black, electric guitar and brushed my fingers over the smooth edges. I took a stool and got into position, taking the puck and strumming a few strings. I didn't know how to play many songs, but I just liked the sound of the guitar. The slow, vibrating, melodic sound which was swift and calming. Somehow, it just made me so sad, like my heart was melting.

  I started to strum strings in a random pattern, discovering a simple rhythm. My parents call me gifted for this, but I made up words that went along with any beat. I just played the same pattern over and over again for a long time while humming something random. My stomach grumbled in hunger and I breathed out, ignoring it.