Unexpected Family (manxman)

a.n. this one’s a bit slower to get in the groove but it’s definitely (manxman) If you like plot not just smex then please read although there's going to be smex a little later in the story. This one is going to be 3/4 chappies, but it's a fav and I'm already writing chapter 2. Can't help it :)

Unexpected Family.

When my sister Alice and her husband Frank died three years ago it left a hole in my heart that I thought nothing could fill. At the time the loss of my two more staunch defenders, the two people in the world I could count on to be there… Well it left me broken. 

The only reason I didn’t, couldn’t crumble was because of Amy. Amy was Alice and Frank’s two year old daughter and despite the shock and disgust of the rest of our family I was granted sole custody of the little girl. Disgust because I am a gay, single man who comes from a family of traditionalists, well that’s the kind way to term it. Shock because at the time that Alice died I was only 21, a fresh university graduate with a Bachelor degree only slightly more useless than the paper it was printed on. 

It was a very rocky beginning. I knew nothing about raising a child but then neither do first time parents. I already loved Amy as an uncle now I had to adapt to parenthood. My parents tried everything in their power to take her away. Reasoning everything from my age, fiscal situation, my lack of stable career, marital status even my sexuality was brought into question. Luckily Alice, always the planner, had prepared for opposition and the will was very succinct, and as the lawyer my parents had paid through the nose for pointed out, ironclad. We settled with them having visiting rights and me having full custody and remaining trustee to Amy’s funds until she came of age. And so after five years of not speaking I had to allow my parents back into my life if only for Amy’s sake.

The first few months of Amy living with me were a blur. As well as finding a more stable job, nightclub hours were no longer suitable; I had to deal with the sale of Alice and Frank’s house, car and settlement of their life insurance policies. Amy also went from a home in the suburbs with two loving parents to living in a two bedroom apartment in a slightly shabby building with an uncle who was often caught between tired and clueless. All this, while trying to hide it from the judgmental, ever critical, grandparents on their ‘surprise’ visits. I’m amazed we survived.

By the time Amy was five though we had got our rhythm. Amy knew that I was her uncle and that her parents though gone had loved her very much. We kept a picture of them on her bedside table. She also knew that she had thoroughly wormed her way into my heart. Sometimes to the point of being a little too spoiled. Over the years my fiscal situation had improved and with the better pay we had been able to move to a slightly bigger apartment in a better part of the city. This meant being closer to the grandparents and a change of kindergartens for Amy. The relationship between me and my parents was still constrained but we did our best to hide it from her. Although I suspect she knew something wasn’t quite right between us.

---------

“Uncle Jim.”

“Hmm, Amy.” I replied distractedly as I entered the car onto the roundabout.

“How come you’re not married?”

I’m so glad I’m a good driver because the shock I felt could have caused an accident.

Amy was staring at me waiting for an answer.

“Why are you asking that, Amy?” God damn it, Mum and Dad.

“Grandma and Grandpa were talking about Aunt Francine getting married soon. And when I asked how come she was getting married and you weren’t they said to ask you.” God damn f*cking parents.