Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

Something's up.

"Uh... Sorry if this comes off rude, (Y/N), but... Uh... Are you... OK?" I asked awkwardly.

She tensed up and cleared her throat.

"I'm fine." Her voice seemed to get higher.

"Oh... OK..." I murmured.

She stood up and brushed down her uniform.

"Uh... Bye." She laughed awkwardly before quickly speed-walking away.

"Bye?" Laf and I said in unison.

"What did you say to her?" Laf turned and stared at me accusingly.

"I didn't say anything." I put my hands up.

Lafayette narrowed his eyes.

"Right. Don't forget to put the fire out." He stood up and walked away.

I sighed and ended up staying at the fire for a long time.

(Y/N)'s POV

"Uuuugggghhhh, Alexander, I need help." I barged into our shared tent, hoping Alex was awake and I didn't look like a weirdo.

Alex was sitting at a small desk, writing a letter to, I'm assuming, Eliza or Angelica.

"Hm?" He spun around. "With what?"

"Uhh... It's kind of hard to explain." I walked over to him and sat on his bed, which was next to the desk.

"I have the time." He set down the pen and turned to me.

"I'm frustrated. I'm not looking for a relationship right now, and Lafayette is acting like we're in a relationship. Like, today, just a few minutes ago, I was sitting with John at the fire, and Lafayette came over and called me "his angel". I think."

"Then just tell him you're not interested." Alex was staring at me like I was stupid.

"I could do that, but I don't want to hurt his feelings, you know? He's such a nice guy..." I sighed.

"I could do it then." Alex said bluntly, turning back to his letter.

"Really?" I smiled.

"Obviously, I won't just randomly walk up to him and be like 'Hey, (Y/N) isn't interested in you or interested in a relationship. 'Kay thanks bye!'. I'll try to casually do it." Alex started going off in his own world, planning out how he would do it.

"Oh... Alright." I said, confused. "Just... Don't wait too long." I'm not sure he heard me, but I just left the tent anyways.

"Ah, good morning, (Y/N)." I heard a voice coming from my left and turned to see General Washington standing there, a big smile on his face.

"O-Oh! General Washington. Good morning." I returned the smile.

"How are you getting along? Charles Lee hasn't been bugging you again, has he?"

"I'm doing great! And no, Lee hasn't spoken to me or even looked at me since yesterday." I laughed to myself.

"That's good. Well, say hi to your brother for me." He tipped his hat and continued on his way.

I wish all the men in this camp was just as polite as General Washington, I thought, rolling my eyes.

"I wonder if Laf and John put out the fire." I thought out loud, walking back over to where the fire was and, surprisingly, where John was. "Oh, John! I thought you would be gone by now."

He flinched when I came over and sat by him.

"You say that like it's a bad thing." He laughed.

"Of course it's not a bad thing." I smiled a toothy smile.

"I'm sorry I made you upset before..." He intertwined his fingers together, like he was embarrassed or nervous.

"Huh? Oh, you didn't do anything!" I patted his shoulder. "If anything, it was Lafayette who made me upset." My voice dropped to a whisper.

"What? Why?" John's voice also dropped to a whisper.

"Well, I was just telling you before how I wasn't really interested in a relationship, and he walked over and called me his 'angel'." I rolled my eyes.

John chuckled.

"If you want, I can tell Lafayette if you're feeling uncomfortable..." John offered.

"No thanks. Alex already offered to." I laughed.

"Of course he did." He smiled.

A/N

This is kind of a shorter chapter and it's kind of a filler but you and John have a nice conversation so that's nice ;)

Also, does anyone have any name suggestions for this book? I feel like John Laurens x Reader is a bit boring. Obviously, if anyone says a title that I like, I'll give you credit          im desperate

I also want a new book cover so I'll make one of those soon :')

-Red ^^