(4)

The chilly afternoons of Late September to Late October were a warm welcome from the sizzling rays of Summer. By the time December hit in, people, while cold, were safe from freezing to death in their newly knitted sweaters and scarves. They were happy preparing for Christmas and enjoying the soft-falling snow that came down in time for the holidays. If only those peaceful days could last forever...but they never do.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Finally, we have a break!" groaned John, "dealing with tests and quizzes left and right...and those mid-terms on top of all that!"

Seraphina raised an eyebrow. "I thought those weren't too bad."

"Everything's easy for you," John rolled his eyes as they approached the popcorn stand.

Siren's Gauntlet, by Miso I., had sold out in a matter of days. The Royals at Wellston had all received tickets thanks to Seraphina pulling some strings and since John was Sera's best friend, he received one too. It was nice to relax before seeing how the students did on their exams.

"One large popcorn please," Seraphina mumbled, fumbling with the coins on her purse as hse gave the blonde woman behind the stand eight dollars.

The woman glanced at them, the name tag on her uniform reading "Sheryl". She smiled and said, "you two must be the Royals from Wellston! I could sense your Auras, they're very powerful."

John and Seraphina exchanged a look

John and Seraphina exchanged a look. "Yes, I'm the Queen and my friend is the King," Seraphina lied. The woman's eyes were now glowing.

"Oh what a delight! Serving people that will soon take over our society," the woman grinned, showing all her perfectly straight snow-white teeth. She looked over them both critically. "I thought the Queen had lighter hair?"

"No, you're getting me confused with Cecile."

The woman turned her attention to John but before she could look him over, a man called, "Hurry up, Sheryl! You're keeping the line."

Sheryl gave them an apologetic smile. "Forgive me, dears. It's been a hobby of mine to talk to powerful people like you. It's how we make due in this cruel society, after all." She waved them over to the next line and began taking new orders.

"That lady was weird," John muttered once they were out of earshot.

"It's suspicious how much she knows about our school," Seraphina agreed, "and why is she so interested in high tiers?"

"Let's not worry about that just yet. We can enjoy the movie and then see if she's stalking us or anything." They headed off, popcorn in hand.

Behind the stand, Sheryl was watching the duo leave with a dark smile. "Thanks for the warning, Archer. I should have realized I was prying too much."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"There's a guy following us," Isen whispered to Remi and Blyke, who were a step ahead of him and sharing a huge bag of kettle corn.

"How can you tell?" Blyke asked, unruffled as ever. Only Remi slowed down, eyes narrowed.

"It's my passive," Isen responded, "and he's been trailing behind us. Okay, stop slowing down--we're going to be suspicious like this."

Blyke sighed. "Well, what do we do now?"

"Meet up with one of the high tiers for protection?" Isen suggested.

Remi nodded. "It's not a bad idea. Since John and Sera are together, let's find Arlo and Elaine."

"They're together?" Blyke exclaimed in shock. Remi glared at him, a silent plea to be quiet and worry about the bigger threat--they were being followed. And after the events that happened a few months ago, perhaps it was time for them to stay on the law. If that was even possible.

"No, they separated. But we need both on our side if anything happens," Isen responded grimly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"They're not onto us yet," Spen whispered, heading to the restroom for a break once he saw the kids had slowed down a little.

"Are you sure?" The voice--it was Carolyn who answered this time.

"Of course I am."

"Then why did they slow down?" another woman hissed.

"You be the judge, Sheryl! You have the power to--"

"I'm busy looking after the two other high-tiers. Or, well, one god tier. The other has very little power. He has some but he's practically a cripple," Sheryl responded.

The sighing belonged to Archer. "He isn't a threat unless he can detect Sheryl's aura."

"Don't worry, I know he can't. His ability is too low compared to mine. My concern is how he became friends with that high-tier anyway."

"Oh, you don't need to worry, Sheryl. I've done some research," Carolyn murmured, "and Seraphina does not have as much sway as she used to. Nor does she care to exert her power."

"Which is why she is a threat and our first target. I'll make sure the rest won't arrive in time to help her. I'll go now and reconnect with them," Spen whispered.

"And I'll leave my station to check on Wellston's Ace," Sheryl added.

"With this new device our masters gave us, they won't stand a chance," Archer agreed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS: