Pencil X Leafy (Humanized)

Requested by  funnydoings

((Art by Lesbian_Firey on Tumblr!))

Wow I kinda ship it now after writing this lmao

Word count: 1523 words (I think this is one of the longest stories I've ever written!)

Sorry that this took 7 years!

It was the end of the day, and Leafy was trudging through the halls with a huge lump in her throat, the impending of tears stinging her eyes. That day, she had gotten her first detention. She just couldn't believe it. She, the girl who got along with everyone (well, almost...) and that had a reputation with the teachers AND her fellow students as a nice, bubbly girl who was dedicated to her studies, was gonna be sitting in detention with the kids who get into fights, vandalize school property, act out during class, and god knows what else.

Talking during a test she reread for the 50th time off of the pink slip that she held in her hand. She had been encouraging another student who was having trouble on the test. She meant to do it quietly, but losing control of her volume was a weakness of hers. She was probably pretty wrapped up in her consolation, because she had gotten loud enough for the teacher to notice and to get stares and snickers from other students. She had been warned by a couple of different teachers in previous years about talking in class, but this teacher reacted differently. She didn't even give the formally good student a warning. She took out a small pink notepad and ripped out one of the sheets, scribbling on the paper, the sounds of the blue pen running across the surface filling the quiet testing environment. The teacher stood up and walked over to the contrite Leafy and handed it to her. Leafy skimmed the paper, and upon seeing the word "Detention," in big, bold, capital letters running across the top of the page, her heart churned. Upon one mistake, her spotless record had been forever tarnished. Even the other students knew what was going on, and were in shock. The nicest kid in school, stuck in detention.

A few minutes later, she approached the dreaded door. The door she was required to enter and sit for 2 hours, drowning in her shame, surrounded by some of the worst kids in school. Leafy grasped the handle weakly, her hand shaking uncontrollably. It might seem like an over-reaction, but this was truly a traumatizing moment for her. She pulled the door open to reveal a very depressing scene. (Sorry if this is inaccurate, as of now I've never been in detention and I really hope it stays that way!) The classroom setting was completely empty except for the teacher and 8 very sour looking students. Leafy chose a seat, and sunk into it glumly. This is going to be a very long 2 hours she thought to herself. She decided to analyze the other students around the room.

First there was Pencil. It was no surprise that she was spending her after school free time in this room. It probably wasn't new to her, she was known around school for being kind of a trouble-maker, along with her life-long best friend Match. Then there was Bracelety. Similar to Leafy, she had a problem with being loud. She was probably in detention because she was talking to her best friend Ice Cube, although Icy wasn't there, probably because she's normally quiet and kind of sucks up to the teachers. And then in the back row of the second column there was Liy. Liy was definitely known to cause drama, but was nice to people at times. That day she had gotten into a fight with 2 other students, Foldy and Stapy, but only Liy was disciplined because the teachers didn't see Stapy or Foldy fight back (Which they were doing before, but they stopped when they saw the teacher come around the corner.) In front of Liy was Roboty. He didn't really talk much, so Leafy was confused as to why he had landed in detention. In front of him was...LOSER???? He was one of the best kids in the school, maybe even better than Leafy!! HOW IN THE WORLD DID HE GET DETENTION?!?! Leafy thought to herself before continuing her observations. Then there was 8-Ball. He was usually a good student, but he had sort of a grudge with a girl named Golf Ball, so maybe they got into a fight or something, although Golf Ball wasn't there, so Leafy didn't know. Lastly there was David. David was...odd, to say the least. He hardly said anything besides "Aw, seriously?" and "No!" and he disobeyed the teachers a lot, which probably lead to his detention.

Just then, the teacher disappeared into thin air! Leafy started panicking out of confusion and concern. "Calm down, this happens all the time!" Leafy heard someone say. It was Pencil. Leafy nodded but was still very confused. Just then, everyone got out of their seats and started walking around the room and socializing. Guess it was a free pass to do whatever. Pencil wasn't talking to anyone, so Leafy decided to talk to her, especially since she sat right behind her.

"So, you're here often, I'd assume..." Leafy said. "Yeah, it's sort of a norm for me. It's 'cause I hate school, so why should I bother to act interested? Skipping class with Match is so much more fun, although I can't convince Bubble or Ruby to do it most of the time. They're too paranoid that we'll get caught, which we usually do, but again, who cares?? Teachers are humans just like us, why should we be scared of them??" Pencil explained. It was interesting to Leafy, a huge goody two-shoes, to get inside the mind of a "bad kid", so talking to Pencil was really eye-opening.

They talked for the entire 2 hours, and despite being pretty much opposites behavior-wise, they actually got along really well. "Match has to babysit this evening, so do you wanna maybe hang at my house tonight?" Pencil asked, "Well, I already called my mom. She's picking me up from here and she said I'm grounded for 2 weeks..." Leafy replied painfully. "Who cares? You're already grounded, at least have some fun before you're confined to your room for 2 weeks!" Pencil proposed. Leafy was definitely hesitant, but she remembered that she WAS in high school, and decided that she needed to learn to live a little, plus she really wanted to spend more time with Pencil. "...Okay!" Leafy retorted enthusiastically. "Great!" Pencil replied eagerly. Just then the bell rang, releasing the 9 of them from their punishment. Then Leafy realized something. "How are we gonna get to your house if my mom is waiting at the entrance? Surely she'd see us!" "Oh, trust me Leafy. I have plenty of experience with this stuff. Just follow my lead, okay?"

Pencil and Leafy exited the room, only to be presented with an unpleasant surprise: Leafy's mom was waiting right at the end of the hall, glaring straight at Leafy. "Pencil, she sees us, what do we do?!" Leafy whisper-shouted in hopes that her mother wouldn't hear. Pencil hesitated for a few seconds, also in panic, prior to shouting, "LET'S GO!" and before Leafy could ask what was going on, Pencil grabbed her hand (which caused her to blush slightly) and they bolted down the opposite direction of the hall without look back. Leafy's mom shouted Leafy's name, so they ran even faster. They knew that she was chasing them. Finally they reached the exit at the back of the school (Pencil's original escape plan) and they blew through the door and hightailed it off of school property. By then, Leafy's mom had given up, much to the girls' relief.

At last, they had reached Pencil's house, and both of them were EXHAUSTED from the chase. So as soon as they got inside, they each flopped onto Pencil's couch and took a well deserved nap.

For all of her childhood, Leafy never broke the rules, or at least she tried her very best not to. She never thought ANYONE could get her out of that shell, and boy was she wrong! She had formed a special connection with Pencil just from talking to her for 2 hours, a bond so powerful that she enlivened Leafy to take risks that she never thought she'd even consider taking in the past. That day, Leafy felt a lot of new things, but the strongest feeling was her endearment towards Pencil, the admiration that she had developed for her in only a few hours. Before, Leafy heard about Pencil's bad behavior around school and looked down on her, but now she found Pencil extremely cool and even brave for her willingness to take on so many risky opportunities. It was a feeling that was very new and strange to Leafy. It was a fondness she hadn't felt for anyone else before.

It was a feeling that she never wanted to stop experiencing.

It even took Leafy's mind off of how dead she was gonna be when she got home :)