01 | With New Eyes

Start from the beginning

I decide to go back to bed. What else was there to do?

I took a few steps towards my bed as the camera in the corner of the room catches my eye. I furrow my brows in confusion. The ominous red light that once filled my room, was no longer flashing. Has it been turned off? How odd...

My eyes immediately shift to the door. I run over to it, tripping over myself. Hoping that one day it would be as easy as walking out of this hell hole. Maybe today is that day?

It was what I had dreamed so many times before. But... this seems different. I stand in front of the door, plainly staring at the knob. I feel a pull towards the door. What's the harm in trying? If it's locked, as always, it's not like I'm going anywhere.

I reach out my hand. feeling the cold metal on my finger tips. I pause for a moment. My hand hovering above the door handle. Grip my hand around it. Tightening. Turning.

Click

The door squeaks slightly as it becomes ajar. I freeze as goosebumps domino up my back.

"Oh my god" I whisper.

I stand back for a moment to puzzle my thoughts together. What should I do? I stick my head out from the doorway cautiously. And...

Run

I run out into the opening. The hallway goes on for what looks like forever. Going on forever into the dark abyss that was at the end of this dank aisle.

"It's empty?"

My breathing heavy. My mind is resisting the fight but my body defies. I am afraid. Afraid of what is happening. Afraid of getting caught. They will destroy me if they catch me.

I run down the hallway. My footsteps echo. I run until I come to an intersection of hallways. I decide to head right, I recognize the door at the end. A flashback flickers in my mind. Being dragged through this door upon arrival.

"It's open!"

I burst through the door and continue running through the hallway. I quickly fade into the darkness. I look back to see someone standing at the doorway, where I just stood. My heart constricts as I continue to run. The look of confusion on their face. He seemed... frozen?

I look ahead of me for a moment to collect my surroundings. When I look back towards the door, the guard was gone.

Another familiar door. I decide to follow my instincts, running through the door. I freeze as I enter. What seems to be an abandoned office. A dead end. Old books and dust cover this room. As I turn around to exit, I see the same guard searching the hallway. I duck, avoiding the window. Leaning my back against the bookshelf. The footsteps continue past the door. I wait a few minutes until I hear the footsteps fade down the hallway. I peek up, looking out the window.

All clear.

I carefully exit the office and run the opposite direction. Bursting through another set of double doors. Entering a new section of the building.

I just need to, catch my breath...

A shooting pain runs up along my side. I had been imprisoned in that room for so long. Exercise was not part of the daily routine.

Finally the day has come. After what felt like years. Truthfully, I thought I would die here. The feeling is almost unreal, out of body. A sudden rush of anger flows through me as I think about my time here. They can't do this to me!? Do they know who I am!? I don't need anyone. I can save myself.

I run into what seems to be a door to beloved freedom. I open the door slightly. Trying to avoid detection, I look through the crack in the door. Guards littered the grounds.