Chapter 66

Thomas

 It was strange how everything changed when darkness came. Nothing ever looked the same during the night.

 “Here you go,” William said, handing Thomas a pouch filled with a powdery substance. “It’s stronger than what I usually get, so don’t take too much.”

 Thomas’ hands shook a little as he took a small amount of the powder and spread it evenly upon a piece of paper. Once he had rolled it up, he lit it by one of the torches. “I really needed this,” he said upon inhaling. “This new project has been keeping me awake.”

 William raised his eyebrows in interest. “What project?”

 “I’m trying to do some serious composing,” Thomas said and inhaled once more. “But the Queen wants me to play all nights, so there’s not much time for sleeping.”

 William chuckled in agreement and took the roll from Thomas. “What’s the reason for this sudden burst of inspiration?”

“The execution, I think.” Thomas leaned against the wall. “I just have this feeling, you know? There was something very beautiful about it.”

“The execution?”

“Yes - or her, perhaps.” He took back the smoke and inhaled. “Do you know that feeling when you see someone, and even though you don’t know them, you know they might have changed the course of your life?”

“The course of your life?” William asked with a smirk. “Were you in love with her?”

Thomas snorted. “No.” It was the honest truth. William was the sort of man who could not notice anybody unless he was passionately in love with the person - which was not too big of a problem, because he fell passionately and unendurably in love with almost everyone. Thomas considered himself gifted with the ability to be inspired by a person even if he did not want to sleep with them.

William shrugged. “All for the better. She wasn’t very extraordinary.”

“Does she have to be?”

“I suppose not."

Thomas walked away from the wall, feeling slightly influenced. It showed from his uncertain steps. “Have the rest,” he said, handing William the roll. “I need to get back to my work.”

Thomas had been composing for a while, though he had never completed anything. It had always been an interest of his, but he would always give up somewhere along the way, finding the piece ridiculous or horrid. He remembered that Cyril would tell him to complete his work, if only for practice, but somehow he had never managed.

This time, he was decided upon finishing it. It did not feel like all those other times, where every note was a struggle. Rather, it was a fluid wave of inspiration that led him through the transitions. Of course, he still made mistakes and he had to stop every so often to play small pieces on his violin to make sure it sounded right, but it was not a bother.

By the time he and William were allowed to leave, the symphony was already well on its way. They travelled with a band of musicians and artists. Some of them were going to Tibera, others were to visit small holdfasts on the way, some wanted to go even further east - but most of them were traveling just to travel.

“I’ve never asked you if you’re married,” William said one day. It was after they had passed the border to Tibera and the sun seemed to be frying them.

Thomas shook his head. “But I do love someone.”

“Ah,” William said with a sly smile. “How is she?”

Thomas smiled. “You wouldn’t like her.”

William frowned. “No? I like a lot of women.”

“You like a lot of exceptional women,” he agreed. “She is perfectly ordinary, except for in the way she’s not."

William laughed at that. “You are a strange man, Thomas.”

Had it been anyone else but William saying that, Thomas would have been afraid that he was mocking him. William had never mocked him, nor had he seen him mock anyone else.

“Do you plan on loving her for a long time?” William asked.

“I don’t think I plan on stopping.”

He laughed again. “Of course you’re not.”

They reached the greatest city of Tibera a few days later. The ancient holdfast of the House Lamarck seemed magnificent. Thomas wished he could have seen it up close, walked through its halls and seen the view from its towers. It fitted the family which it hosted so well; ancient, tall, rich and lasting.

The castle was not the only thing in Tibera that was rich. The entire city blossomed, not only with wealth of coin and trade, but in wealth of arts, culture and sciences as well. From the port, a thousand inspirations for new forms of art washed in from all over the world. The people walking these streets were all of different heritage and spoke different tongues. There were large markets that looked more like Hi’taabnese bazaars, colorful and overflowing with exotic fruits and jewelry.

On his first night there, he went out of the city to the coastline that had been left bare and untouched by humans. There were sand slopes as tall as any hill kept together only by the roots of rough, tall grasses, and there were tall, light grey cliffs shaped by the tide. That was where he settled, overlooking the ocean.

That day when he arrived in Tibera had passed in such a daze, it seemed unreal. When he thought of the wonders he had yet to see, it seemed impossible. It seemed impossible that he, a boy without means from the small town of Riverston, was now set out to travel the eastern world.

He took out Eloise’s necklace from the pouch he had safely secured in his belt at all time and held it in his hands. The feeling of it had become so familiar by now. It was strange to think that Eloise was still at home, living the life she always lived, while he was here, having come so far in every way since the day they parted.

It was with a sense of wonder that he walked back to the inn where he and William had rented their rooms.

“I’ve got space for us on a ship early tomorrow morning,” William said without greeting. “It’s not the best accommodation, but we’ll save money and so we’ll have enough to go further east.”

That was another reason why Thomas was glad to have William with him. Since he had never had any money himself, he did not know how to manage it. He was simply unable to see the worth of the large amount of coin that had been given. All he knew was that it was a lot.

They rose before the sun and reached the shipyard by the time the black sky turned grey. The ships seemed to be black shadows against the light that had begun rising from the east.

They were ushered on board by a couple of sailors. “Just in time,” one of them mumbled, but William ignored them.

“Come on,” he said before striding to the forefront of the ship. From there, they could see they ocean stretching on for miles. “And so our journey begins.”

Thomas smiled. “Indeed.”

William turned around and looked toward the coast. “When we come back, we’ll be different men, Thomas,” he said, his voice strangely emotional. “We’ll be changed.”

Thomas chuckled, trying to bring back the easy mood his companion usually had. “Yes. You’ll have more stories to charm your ladies with.”

William smiled a little, but he seemed distracted. “Think about it. It might be years until we come home.”

“Don’t tell me you miss it already,” Thomas teased.

William shook his head. “No, that’s not it. It’s just…” He frowned, as if puzzled by something. “I have the strangest feeling.”

Thomas clapped his shoulder. “Do you want me to bring your things with me down to our cabin?”

“Thanks,” William said, “but I’ll take it myself.”

Thomas nodded and shot one last look at the eastern horizon. The sun had begun rising, golden and prosperous above the sea’s waves. Soon, he would see what lay beyond it.