Chapter 54

Mary

 She was called to court less than a week after Elizabeth’s victory. After Asha and Caterina’s departure, the two additional thrones had been removed and Elizabeth sat alone. Behind her throne, though, her heretic priest hovered.

 Mary fell into a deep curtsey on the steps of the dais. “Your Grace,” she said, her head bowed, her voice full of surrender. Stay alive, her mother’s voice told her, no matter the costs.

 Ishmael stepped forwards. “Lady Mary, you have come here today to pledge your fealty to the rightful Queen, Queen Elizabeth, and thereby denouncing your own claims to the throne and accepting your brother, Raynor, as a bastard and a threat to the throne.”

 It pained her how easily those words slipped past her lips. “I do so pledge,” she said, her eyes on the ground.

 “Then rise, a loyal subject to the rightful Queen.”

 She rose and looked upon the Queen. She smiled and stood up. “I would greet you as a cousin, truly - if not by blood, then at least by marriage,” she said and walked down the stairs to kiss Mary on both her cheeks. The court cheered their satisfaction.

 Mary bowed her head. “Your Grace, I am humbled by your kindness.”

 “Don’t be,” Elizabeth said.

 Mary dared to meet her eyes. “What of my sister?”

 Elizabeth’s eyebrows drew together. “I fear Helena did not have the same sense as you. She denied my claim to the throne before the court, and so I had no choice.”

 Mary’s eyes widened. “No choice?”

 “She is in the dungeons,” Elizabeth explained. “I do apologize, but treason is a crime I must take very seriously - especially now.”

 “Treason?” Mary exclaimed, a little too loudly. “She is nothing but a girl! What danger can she be to your rule?”

 “She is a woman,” Elizabeth said. “Nevertheless, she will be given time to think this over. However, if she does not pledge fealty within due time…”

 “Due time?” Mary backed away from her. “What does that mean?”

 “It means that if your sister persists in denying me as her rightful Queen, I will have to treat her as any traitor will be.”

 Mary glared at her. “You mean to execute her? For what? For not being able to deny her mother’s right?”

 Elizabeth sighed. “Might I remind you that you - her younger sister - was perfectly able to see clearly what the options are. I have treated her with great respect and care, but I cannot let a traitor live. Now,” she continued before Mary could speak, “I would recommend that you leave before you make a fool of yourself.”

 Mary bit back her tears and curtseyed. “Your Grace.”

 She left the throne room with hurried steps, wasting not a second in getting out of that room with all its eyes and judgments. She was surprised to find that someone had followed her.

 “My lady!” Philip Blythall called out behind her.

 She turned around and curtseyed. “My lord.”

 “I wanted to tell you that I am glad you made this decision,” he said. “Though it is beneath you to be only a lady, as you are now, seeing you dead would truly be a tragedy.”

 She bowed her head. “You are very kind, my lord.”

 He seemed to be searching for something to say. “How are you?” he asked.