Chapter 41

Evelyn

 If Evelyn closed her eyes, she could almost feel the air around her quiver with held back anxiety. If she removed the words from people’s conversation, they were shaky songs of fear and anticipation. But when she opened her eyes again, the Queen’s court was as always; the ladies walked amongst themselves, sometimes accompanied by a lord, some playing instruments, others dancing, and others yet practicing their skills in chess or embroidery. Every single one of them wore a mask, but when Evelyn disregarded the shell that covered them, it was clear as day that they were all shaking like leaves in the wind, waiting for the storm to set off.

 Theodora returned from dancing with some small lord. It was really rather scandalous, but she had never been known to propriety. Her cheeks were flushed and breathing slightly elevated. “Come and rehearse your steps with us,” she offered.

 Evelyn frowned. “I’d rather not.”

 Theodora pouted. “I know you do not like Edward, but you might try to speak to him - for my sake, if nothing else.”

 “Oh, his name is Edward?”

 For a moment, she seemed annoyed, but then she straightened her face and drew in a deep breath. “Well, I will just go dance with him, then.”

 "Theodora,” Evelyn said, calling back her friend. “Please, do not lower yourself even more than you already have.”

 Theodora narrowed her eyes. “What do you mean?”

 Evelyn sighed deeply, wondering why she wasted her time. “You are a Monette. You owe it to your house and your family to not sink as deeply as taking two dances in a row with a Blackwood.”

 With a huff, Theodora walked to stand by Evelyn’s side again. “He really is charming,” she told Evelyn defensively. “I would like to marry him, I think, and I do not really care about my house or my family.”

 Evelyn rolled her eyes and turned to her friend. “Theodora, please, listen to me. You are the third daughter so your father will not care much who you marry, so I will most like be the only one to tell you the sad truth. Men like Edward want two things: money and status. He will use you to climb the social ladder.”

 Theodora looked towards the man with longing in her eyes. “I could always just let him use me.”

 Evelyn was about to contradict her, but then she realized she was bored with the conversation already. “Please do,” she said and left before she was drawn back into the discussion.

 She left the court altogether, wandering the hallways without purpose. She found Tiraq in one of the gardens, drinking from a cup of tea. When she entered, he looked up and smiled so that his dark eyes sparkled. He had a handsome smile.

 “Good afternoon,” she greeted as she sat across from him.

 “And you, my love,” he replied, and she looked to the servant in the corner of the garden. “Would you like some tea?”

 She looked at the cup. “No, thank you. I prefer wine.”

 The servant took the cue and quickly filled a cup for her.

 “How has your day been?” her husband asked as she took a sip.

 She shrugged. “Dull. I went to Sybil’s court with Theodora, but she was distracted by the man of the week.”

 “It’s strange, you call her your friend and yet I get the sense that you do not like her,” he noted, his accent still thick even though it had become much more natural since he first arrived.