Interlude

Thyrdís sat at the very front of the ship, watching the water split effortlessly before them - almost as though it made no more resistance than the thick fog that surrounded them. It was Loftur’s design, of course. A boat that worked with the waves rather than against them was how he described it.

 It was in the late hours of the night that they had seen it. Stonebridge. It was no more than a small cluster of houses, but it had often been the entrance point for Thyrdís’ ancestors when they came raiding. It was also the marker of where the North became the East of Etheron. This time, though, they sailed past that point and continued south.

 Now, half a day later, the southern sun had risen high on the sky. It warmed her body, which had seen nothing but cold, wet and salt for the past week.

 “There,” Loftur said and pointed to a town no bigger than Stonebridge. Except the houses here were not built in dark stones; they were white and and sandy. Surrounding them were not tall, looming mountains with snowy peaks but cliffs overgrown with lush plants. “That is where we are headed.” He smiled his trademark smile - a bit too excited, a bit crazy - and giggled. “Prepare yourself.”

 Soon, every man and woman was awake and putting on their armor. Thyrdís took out a tightly weaved ring mail and her battle axe. Then the boat hit the bottom and would go no further. No anchors were thrown. Those who departed the boat now would never return to it while those who stayed would bring it back to their clan.

 Thyrdís and Loftur threw themselves overboard along with nine other warriors. The boat was not very large, only just large enough for sea travel, so they could easily reach the bottom. The water felt nice and cool around her legs. When it sprayed up around her when she ran, it seemed to wash away the wear and tear of the journey.

 Most of the citizens had the good sense of running away when they marched out of the water. Thyrdís swung her axe in a circle by her side, causing most of those who had not yet decided to flee to scatter away. Though Thyrdís did not enjoy battle like so many of her companions, she felt no regret planting the edge of her axe in the chest of the man who tried to stop her.

 By the end of the day, the village was far behind them and they fell to rest in dense woods beneath a foreign sky.

 “Do you think she’s won her throne yet?” Loftur asked.

 Thyrdís turned her head to look at him. “Elizabeth?”

 He nodded.

 She shrugged and looked back up at the stars. They were barely visible through the layer of leaves. “I don’t know.”

 He was quiet for a moment. “Surely, they’ve fought some battles already.”

 “I suppose,” she muttered, too tired to really care.

 “Do you think Angelique has fought?”

 It took a moment for the question to register. Then she turned around and regarded him with sympathy. She took his hand. “If she did, no one would have stood a chance.”

 He looked away. “And you’re not afraid that Ishmael might have gotten killed?”

 She hesitated. “I’m not here for Ishmael. I’m here because I want to explore the world.”

 “So it wouldn’t matter to you?” he asked.

 She sighed and tucked her blanket closer to her. “Of course it would.”