Chapter 31: Ending the War

Fire reflected into your husbands pupils as he stared at the holopad in front of him, watching destruction reign through the last of the Resistance's bases on a portable recording. A small smile lay on his face as he nodded for it to be taken away. 

"Very good. I expect the remaining branches will be taken care of soon enough?" He asked the officers sitting before him. 

"Of course General." One man responded cooly. "Consider the war to be over. We have won." Your husbands knuckles turned white as he gripped his chair. A fire much like the one he had when you first met him had erupted in his heart and it was visible for all to see. 

"Excellent. You may leave us." He smiled and glanced in your direction. The officer swiftly left the room with almost a skip in his step. The rest of his staff quickly followed. You chuckled. 

"How do you feel my love?" You asked your husband, placing a hand on his arm. He smiled, a real smile. Something you craved ever since you first realized that the man before you was your soul mate. Nothing made your heart soar more than seeing Armitage with a worry-free smile. 

"The best I ever have." He responded. The General lifted himself from his chair and began to walk towards the large glass window, revealing the universe before him. Your ship was orbiting a small planet near Kessel, which prior to a few days ago had held the last spark of the resistance. That is, before one of your spies reported its location to the First Order. Now, much like many other bases in the past months, it was a barren molten wasteland. "I haven't a single worry my dear." He almost sung out. You chuckled and joined him in front of the window. You tucked a strand of hair behind your ear and admired how your husband's own hair had grown back to its impressive length. Much akin to how long it had been all those moons ago when you had the pleasure of cutting it. His beard had also been allowed to return to a thick state. To you, you were with the most handsome man in the galaxy. 

"Not a single worry?" You asked with a slight frown. "Your confidence is attractive no doubt, but is it wise?" You questioned, staring at the molten planet below. Armitage nodded. 

"For once in my life I understand why my fear has never been warranted, why we will always win, and the resistance never stood a chance." he cleared his throat. You turned slightly to look at him, your hands gripping the metal railing. 

"And why is that my love?" You asked with a smirk. 

"Because (Y/N)," He paused for an eerie effect. "This is real life, not some fairytale. You and I meeting and falling in love is the only cliche of this story." He chuckled. "In the real world, the bad people win. People like General Organa and her batch of misfits cant survive with trivial things like 'hope' and 'courage.' Even Kylo Ren is an example now that changing your mind mid battle and siding with what is 'right' is nothing more than poor battle strategy. His death could have been avoided had he stayed with us." He laughed. "All that matters is skill and wit and how big your army is." A small explosion from the planet below made him pause. 

"So what you're saying is evil will always prevail?" You taunted. "And that the genius of your organization could never have lost." 

"Exactly!" He reached forward and grabbed your hip, pulling you taut against him. "My genius is why you and I stand here today." He smirked as you rolled your eyes. "My father is gone, which means any burden he had on me has dissipated." His hand traveled to the small of your back. "The resistance is finally finished." His face moved closer to yours. "-And Im married to the most cunning woman in the galaxy." He reached up to cup your cheek. "So i ask, Mrs Hux, where would you like to spend the rest of your life?" He asked, his eyes meeting yours. 

"At your side of course." You replied instantly. "As long as I get my own desk." You both laughed and he leaned forward and gave you a long kiss, because now you had nothing left to interrupt you. 

"Then so be it." He said as he took your hand in his and looked out the window. Your faces illuminated with the glow of buildings and people being burned below. And all was good. 

The End.