36

Yazmine

It had been two weeks since Trey got shot. Everything was slowly returning back to normal, but it wasn't normal enough. Honestly, too much had changed. Whenever I thought of what happened, I felt guilt in the pit of my stomach, even though everyone told me it wasn't my fault.

But I was the one who let Amari back in our lives, I was the one who dragged Devonte and Trey into her shit. And now, everything was fucked up.

Amari was gone. She boarded a plane for Atlanta. I didn't know what her plans were, as far as school and the baby, and I couldn't bring myself to care. Which probably made me a bad person or some shit, but it was how I felt.

Janice was dead.

I didn't know the details, and I didn't want to. What I did know, was that in whatever altercation went down at Amari's apartment that night, Trey ended up shot, twice. And Deondre was also shot.

He was fine, it was just a flesh wound is what the doctors said. But Trey....

Trey was not fine.

Don't get me wrong, he was alive, and we were all super grateful because for a while it ain't look like he was gonna make it.

But he ain't gonna play basketball for a long, long time, if he ever plays again.

That's the hard part, dealing with the fall out. Dealing with what happens after, what's next. We were almost upon winter break, and people's lives were falling apart.

I pulled into the parking lot of the hospital Trey was at. He was posed to be getting released today.

"You ready?" Devonte looked at me. I was parked, but I made no move to get out of the car.

"Yeah, lemme just..." I sighed, leaning my head back on the headrest. I needed a minute. Finally, I opened the car door and Devonte followed suit.

Together we trudged towards the hospital entrance. I had been at this hospital entirely too many times. The staff recognized me and the front desk girl waved as we came in. It was no surprise that all the nurses loved Trey. That nigga could get girls anywhere.

When Trey first arrived at the hospital, his room was plain. Not anymore. He had so many cards, flowers, gift baskets, and balloons, I ain't know how we were gonna fit them all in my car.

"What's good?" Trey was sitting in his hospital bed, with his leg propped up. His crutches were in the corner, in reach. Technically, he was cleared to drive, since he was shot in his leg, not his foot, but I was gonna drive us home.

He grabbed his crutches and hoisted himself up.

"How are you?" I looked at him, seriously. In the beginning, it was so scary. I still remember them rushing him in the hospital, blood everywhere. He was shot in the shoulder and the leg, so it ain't look like the intent was to kill him. But, there was always a chance of someone bleeding out.

"I'm straight." Devonte dapped him up. "Coach and the team came by again, earlier."

We were silent, absorbing it. He wasn't gonna be playing any basketball this season. I wondered if the visits from his team made him feel better or if it was a constant reminder of what he would be missing.

"Well, let's get you outta here." I said this with as much enthusiasm as I could muster. Trey nodded and tried to grab his bag of clothes. Trying to help him, Devonte reached for it.

"I got it," Trey snapped, managing to get a hold of the handle. "I ain't no fucking cripple, my hands still work, damn."

"Aight." Devonte backed up, with his hands up.

I ain't know how to break the tension, so I just started gathering up Trey's gifts. Silently, Devonte copied me. After we collected everything, we headed for the exit.

"Bye Trey," a nurse called as we walked down the hallway. "Stay outta trouble."

It was Brittany, who was young and very pretty. "I'll try," Trey said. "But you know I would do anything to see you again, you my favorite." He smirked. "Do I gotta get shot again or will you gimme your number and let me take you out?"

"Boy stop," Brittany laughed. "I never wanna see you in this hospital so quit playing and be good."

We finally made it to the car. I let Devonte drive and got in the back with all Trey's shit. We drove in silence in a while and I hated how dark my mood was. I was glad Trey was back, but I ain't know how being injured was gonna affect him. He was always so playful and joking. Smiling. I needed that Trey. I didn't know if not being able to do the things he was used to would change him. Really, the Doc recommended a wheelchair, but Trey refused. It wasn't like he was paralyzed. So he had crutches. And he was gonna be on those crutches for a long time.

"Why y'all acting like somebody died?" Trey finally broke the silence. "All quiet and shit."

"Because that shit was crazy Trey. I'm still reeling from everything."

"Well I'm alive, so instead of fixating on what could have happened, let's appreciate that it ain't."

I rubbed my eyes. "I can't just forget how I dragged you into this-"

"You ain't drag me into anything. I'ma grown ass man and I made my own choices. Stop blaming yourself."

"If you wanna blame someone blame Amari." Devonte cut into the conversation.

It was kind of true. She played with fire and Trey was the one who got burned.

"Y'all niggas sad as fuck. I'm here, ain't I?" He turned around in his seat and looked at me.

Relenting, I nodded. "Aight then! Look alive, girl." He flicked on the radio and messed around with it until he settled on a hip-hop station. I was just hoping he would continue to stay positive and not look back on what happened to him and start to resent me.

I knew if that happened, I might not be able to handle it.

A/N: I couldn't kill my baby Trey 😭. Thanks for the love.