40

"Yo, Yazmine just hear Tae out."

I shook my head at Trey. His long legged ass was up in my apartment, trying to get me and Devonte talking again. Because we definitely hadn't been talking. It had been weeks since I saw Devonte in the dining hall. The semester was just about over, and we were heading into Winter Break soon. Shit was weird. Since I met Devonte, we never went this long without talking. I was officially moved into my new apartment, which was in a totally different complex than my two old ones. A fresh start. But I could only avoid my problems for so long. And Trey, being in my new apartment and talking about old problems was the perfect example.

"I already did, and I don't believe him. If he fucked her before we were together he would have told me she was pregnant from the jump. Not have me stumble across it." I crossed my arms. "And I know he's your boy, so you gonna stick to his story."

"Nah girl he my boy and all but I ain't lying for him. He telling the truth. When he told me ol girl was pregnant-"

"Wait he told you?" My voice was shrill.

"Uh.." Trey scratched his chin. "Shit. Yeah he told me but that's what I'm saying, he ain't cheat on you he was-"

"I can't believe this shit. So he lied to me, when I'm supposed to be his girlfriend and he tells you shit only I need to know?" I tossed a pillow at Trey and he ducked. "You just making shit worse!" I yelled.

"Nah I'm tryna tell you, if yo ass would just listen!" He yelled back. "The night he fucked her, y'all weren't together. It was when you went out with Cody, that exact night!"

I sniffed. "And how do I know they never fucked again? How?"

"Man. Devonte ain't a cheater Yaz. He ain't built like that. And he got the test because...I saw the doctors papers and shit. She was 12 weeks pregnant, exactly 12 weeks after they fucked. But I guess she fucked someone else too within that week, cuz it ain't Tae's."

I collapsed into the couch, face in my hands. "Why he ain't tell me?"

Crouching down next to me, Trey spoke. "Look, you know how he is. He keeps shit to himself. And that shit don't work in a relationship, but all I'm asking is you to hear him out. That nigga loves you."

I uncovered my face. Devonte never said he loved me, which was part of the reason I hadn't said it to him yet. I couldn't take the rejection. "How you know?"

He shook his head. "Because I know him, Yaz. When y'all was together that nigga smiled. And that nigga mean as fuck, he aint even smile as a baby!"

I let out a small laugh. I remembered how hard it used to be to catch Devonte smiling, before we got together.

"Since you moved out, he ain't done shit but go to work, class, and sleep. And write, probably heartbreak songs or some shit. He just be in bed all day," Trey continued.

" I saw him on snap the other night. With some girl," I protested. Sleep all day my ass, nigga was at the club letting groupies pop they pussy for him.

"Aight besides that."

I mugged Trey. "Don't seem heartbroke to me." I looked heartbroken. My hair needed to be washed. My dishes been sitting in the sink for five days. All I had been eating were gummy worms, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And every time I tried to paint, I just ended up either throwing red paint everywhere cuz I was pissed, or crying.

I sighed. "Even if he didn't cheat on me, it's obvious there was no trust in that relationship. And that shit unhealthy."

"Build some trust then." Trey was adamant.