'Do you blame him? What do you expect from a child that was conceived on the sheets of prostitution? He has no father to put him through so it is only natural he behaves this way.'

Hearing that, I ran home angrily. When I got home, I was crying. Mother was very disturbed when she saw me and she probed but I refused to answer her.

Later, I couldn't sleep at night and kept tossing in bed, the words still ringing in my ears.

'Conceived on the sheets of prostitution'.

For the first time, I began to doubt my existence. I began to question everything my mother had told me. I was itching to ask her for the truth. Was I really conceived from such acts? But I couldn't ask her. Her actions and words gave me an answer and I also couldn't bring myself to ask her till date.

I used to think that I didn't ask her because I was afraid of how broken she'd feel and that I'd be reminding her of nasty memories but now I know why I can't ask her.
It is because I am afraid. I am afraid of the truth, I do not know what to expect and I don't know what I'd do if I do find the truth and that's why I have decided, it is better to live this way without ever knowing the truth than to learn of a truth that would destroy me forever.

I used to think I was better than you and refused this union at first but now I know that if anything, you should have been the one who refused me. You are stronger and you had the courage to embrace yourself the way you are but I am not that way. This is who I am, this is me Lami and I promise you, if any day should come that you feel you can no longer remain with me, this fatherless person, I will willingly give you your freedom."

He finished talking and looked at her, his eyes filled with guilt and self shame. Her throat felt dry and her chest heavy. Her eyes stung and she did nothing to hold the tears.

He held her hand and embraced her. She was crying everything out.
She was giving up everything because she knew that she loved him now even though it'd be foolish falling for someone this fast.

She was surrendering everything out in her tears, she was giving her life to live again. She felt he was the one piece missing in her life. She never felt that way towards anyone and for the first time, she was willing to face society, to fight all odds.

They'd make it through. A thousand dreams, they'd have and make them come true. They both were victims of fate of destiny. Both of them had no choice in what life had played out for them so why should they take the blame of it all?

She embraced him tighter in her arms, she'd never let go, she knew she wouldn't.

Ahmadu had opened up, he had broken free and she had taken him as he was. He knew then, that he had found peace in his heart. He vowed to himself that no matter what, they would fight back and no longer allow themselves be pushed down by the crushing cruelness of life.

This woman in his arms, she was made for him.

After their talk, they felt closer to each other. Even though Lami hadn't opened up to him, he was willing to wait until she felt comfortable to tell him about her past willingly because only then would she be able to move on forever.

They were walking back home, through the market. Three days after that day and Ahmadu had to return to the city. Though uncertain of what the heaviness in her heart represented, Lami knew it was related to him leaving.

He had assured his mother that soon, he would be back for them and they would return to leaving in the city which Indo refused strongly. She asked him to take his wife if he wanted to but she would live and die in Kurmi even though she wasn't born in Kurmi