Seventeen

Benny's idea of fun did not include crouching behind a dumpster and yet, for some reason, she was doing exactly that. Beside her, Adrienne pressed against the wall, listening intently. The air smelled like an unsavory blend of feet and old cheese. A few moments ago Benny had started to ask what they were waiting for, but she had been promptly shushed.

Soon, footsteps were audible and the girls could see the torn pant leg of a young man leading down into abused sneakers. The young man slouched against the brick wall, and a voice—in exaggerated baritone—spiraled into the air.

"That was almost too easy," it muttered, cloaked by the scent of cigarette smoke. "It was like taking candy from a baby--a sleeping baby."

"This gig is getting old," a different voice agreed. "We need to raise the bar, give ourselves a challenge. We're better than this shit."

"We sure ain't gonna do that in this town," the first voice grunted. "All we got here is child's play."

"Man, that was a creepy ass movie," a new voice chimed in.

"The hell are you talkin' about Jones?" the first voice snapped with clear annoyance. "Why are you always saying stupid shit?"

"He doesn't know any better," a fourth voice joined the fray. Adrienne immediately recognized it as a Raymond's. "He's an idiot, comes by it naturally."

"Watch your mouth pipsqueak!" the one called Jones growled angrily. Adrienne swore she could hear him spitting on the ground to accentuate his point. "You're lucky we even deal with you."

"No," Ray said flatly, a calm as you please. "You are lucky that I am willing to deal with you. Face it Jones, you guys need me."

"You think we need a 16 year old kid to get things done? You're out of line King."

"I think we all know who the most valuable player on this team is," Raymond shot back coolly. "Let's not pretend otherwise."

"Look—" Jones started to sound dangerously angry. From behind the dumpster the girls could see the battered sneakers stepping forward, peeling off from the wall.

"Hey, hey," an authoritative voice cut in. "Cut it out Jones, we've got far more important matters to worry about. I don't know if any of you idiots noticed but we're a coupla people short."

"Yeah, hang on...." someone said. "Where are Marks and Davis?"

"Marks got hauled in by the cops last week," the leader explained. "As for Davis, well he's found out what happens to traitors. It's a lesson I hope I won't have to teach any of you."

Behind the dumpster, Adrienne shot Benny a nervous look. When she had tracked Raymond out to this alley she figured his 'friends' weren't honor students, but she had not anticipated that they might actually be dangerous. Had she known, she never would have dragged her friend into trouble. Now, however, there was no escape until they finished their smoke break and wandered off--hopefully without sighting the girls.

"Well shit," one of the voices muttered. "How long is Marks in the slammer?"

"Who cares?" the leader said. "It ain't our problem. We aren't going to associate with anyone who's done jail time. You all know the rules."

"Guess not," Jones said, "but Marks was pretty valuable—more than this little punk anyway."

"Shut up Jones," the leader said. "It ain't nobody's fault but your own that you get showed up by a kid. Don't like it? Try harder."

"That kid gets more credit that he deserves," Jones mumbled. "All because his pops is a big shot. Wait a minute... what's that?"

"What?" the leader asked.

"That shoe by the dumpster." Jones voice accelerated quickly. "Man, someone is watching us!"

Benny's eyes widened and she had just enough time to press herself against the wall before a pair of tough guys loomed over them. All of them, with the exception of Ray,must have been at least eighteen, probably early twenties. They plucked the girls up with ease and hauled them out into the open.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" the leader demanded, spraying them with hot spittle. Adrienne backed into the wall, unsure of how to respond to his question.

"They're just a couple of little girls," one of the men said.

"Bull. They aren't out here by accident." He glared at them, his face turning red. Adrienne's eyes flew over to Raymond. "Are you spying for somebody? Who do you work for?"

"Whoa, whoa, hang on guys." He leapt forward as he recognized her, defensively shielding Adrienne. "That's my sister."

"Your sister?" the leader repeated in disbelief. "Since when do you have a sister? More importantly, what the hell is she doing here? Why is she listening to us? You set this up?"

"Of course I didn't set it up," Raymond said as though this were the stupidest thing he'd ever heard. "What kind of a question is that? I had no idea she was here. She must have followed me out."

"I was just..." Adrienne piped up nervously, "looking for Ray. I didn't mean to cause any trouble."

Fists clenched, the leader looked back and forth between the siblings with frustration. He tossed up his hands as if to say, well Ray, what do suggest we do then?

"Look," Raymond said quietly tugging him to the side, "She's just a kid and she grew up in the same house I did. Do you really think she's the type of girl to go running to the cops? Besides, even if she wanted to talk they didn't hear anything bad."

"I guess you're right," the guy rubbed his chin thoughtfully and turned to the frightened girls. He raised his voice several notches and continued, "but I don't want to catch them snooping around again or I'll take it as a threat and to hell with her being your sister. You know how we deal with threats. So they better get out of here—now!"

Adrienne didn't need to be told twice. She nodded rapidly, grabbed her friend's arm and raced out of the alley. It wasn't until they were several blocks away, panting from the over exertion that she stopped to slump on a park bench.

"Jesus Addy," Benny breathed. "That was close!"

"I'm sorry..." Adrienne said. "We should have just gone to the park. I didn't think we'd be in trouble."

"Sorry?" Benny repeated. "For what? I mean sure that was scary as hell but what a ride!"

"What?" Adrienne said, shocked.

"Okay, I know I shouldn't have enjoyed something like that but it was kind of thrilling... don't you think? Okay, just don't judge me, okay? I think I'm liking the adrenaline. Maybe we just take it down a notch or two next time."

"I don't think you get out enough," Adrienne muttered. "I really think we should get back to my house. We told Deb we'd be back before dark and it's getting close."

"Sure thing," Benny nodded. "So what are we doing tomorrow?"