Part 2

Defying all odds

Part 2

*Selena's POV*

I watched as Emma let out a heavy sigh before sitting down that the kitchen table waiting to Justin to begin talking.

"Do you really want to move in with your mother?" he asked. To most people it would look like he had on a blank face but I could just tell how hurt he was. After being with Justin for as long as I have, there's not much he can get by without me noticing.

"Yes," she said in a soft voice looking down at her hands.

I gave Justin a shrug as he looked over at me for answers but I honestly didn't know what to say.

Ever since we moved back to L.A. Emma hasn't really seen her mother all that much but she never really had a problem with it. She would always shrug it off and act like it was nothing but of course with mine and Justin's parents not being together we know how it felt when we didn't really get to see the other especially when they didn't make an effort to see us so I knew how much it was really hurting her.

"Selena and I will talk about this and get back to you. In the mean time, give me your phone," he said holding out his hand.

"Excuse me?" She said holding her phone close to her chest.

"You broke curfew yesterday, I'm taking your phone. I can take away your car keys if you want to," he said beginning to lose his patience.

I placed a hand on his shoulder trying to keep him collected as she let out a huff.

"You can't do that. How will I get to school?"

"They do have these thing called busses," I said trying to not make it look like I was against Justin.

Ever since the kids were little we agreed that we would always have each other's back when it comes to the kids.

She rolled her eyes and mumbled under her breath as she placed the phone in Justin's outstretched hand before pushing back on the chair and stalking out the door as she threw her school bag over her shoulder.

"We can talk about this over lunch okay?" I said as I kissed his cheek. "Have Jachito drop off Bent?" He nodded as I called out to Bailey as it was time for us to leave.

"Be good today okay?" I said as she left my classroom to go down the hall to her 5th grade class room.

She smiled and kissed my cheek before rushing off so she wasn't late.

"Okay class. Settle down. Everyone gather around the rug it's time for show and tell," I said as I ushered my little first graders to the circled carpet.

"Alice would you like to start off today?" I asked as she nodded and stood up going to the middle.

*Justin's POV*

"JUSTIN!" Scooter yelled getting my attention.

"I'm sorry bro what?" I asked as I came back from zoning off.

"Come on man this is the last paper. I know it's boring but it's got to be done," he said sliding me a paper on the desk.

I quickly pretended to look at it before signing my name at the line on the bottom.

"There, you are good to go. Maybe think about taking a nap?" He suggested before sending me on my way.

I had to admit, I was super tired after waiting up for Emma for half the night. Call me old but I can't stay up all night like I used to.

-

"I just don't understand why she would want to move in with her," I sighed as I set out all the fast food I had gotten for Selena and I for lunch.

"Do you want to know what I honestly think?" She asked popping a fry into her mouth.

I nodded my head looked at her as I began to nibble on a chicken nugget.

"I think that she thinks it will be easier to get away with things at Kate. I mean let's face she won't care if Emma comes home late or who she's with and what they are doing. If she moves in with Kate it's like she's moving out without actually moving out. She thinks she will have freedom over there that she doesn't have at our house," she explain in a soothing voice.

"Why can't she see that everything we do is protect her?" I sighed leaning back against the plastic blue chair in frustration.

"Because she's a teenager baby," Selena said reaching out to place her hand on top of mine. "You want to know what I think we should do about it?" She asked making me nod. "Let her go. She will have to learn for herself that we do what we do out of love. How fast she learns it is on her. We have to let her grow up, Jay. She's not that 5 year old little girl anymore. She's grown up. She had to learn to make her own choices even of they aren't the right ones. All we can do is be there for her."

I reached my hand up to rub my face roughly, something I do when I'm stressed out. I knew Selena was right but it killed me knowing that I was going to have to let my little girl go. My first daughter. My first child. Gone. Just like that.