VIII

CHAPTER VIII.
The Girl in the Window

Being a gentleman
is a worthy goal.

- Orlando Bloom aka my baby

Despite what my peers would say if you ever happen to ask them, I only been with two girls my whole life. A model, whom cheated on me when I didn't sleep with her. A control freak with a desperate need for attention that only grew worse when we slept together. I never been interested in those types of girls, they were always pressed on by my parents. If I had a choice, I would go back and I would never date them.

Shit personalities masked pretty faces, shit personalities were cockblockers.

But April Young was neither of those girls, perhaps once upon a time. She was pretty, rich, but it was all a sham as Barbie on a good day. That's what I thought at least, but perhaps not.

"Sparkling water?" Asked the waiter, holding up a bottle of a bubbly liquid.

April shot the waiter a smile. "Do you serve flat from the tap?" She kept her gaze straight, the waiter was shocked.

"Uh-yes, yes we do," he said, casting a glance over his shoulder. "But miss, is that really what you want?"

"Yes," she insisted, her gaze turned on me. "Apollo?"

"I don't care, I'll have the same," I said, nodding at the sink which was visible from the open kitchen.

When the waiter disappeared, April's smile disintegrated and silence found us easily.

When I picked her up, her mother had been standing by the door pressing us for pictures. At first, she didn't appear in the least bit willing - after a minute of pressure, she caved and we quickly took them before departure. Still, we didn't say a single word over the ride.

It was rather irritating and awkward. I wasn't used to April being so quiet or rather the old Apirl. Perhaps it wasn't such a bad thing...

The edge of the cloth wrapped around my finger from the table. "You, er, you look nice."

I wasn't lying, she wore her hair in a fishtail braid my sister taught me on days when she wanted braids in her hair. Her dress was pink and it hung around her frame loosely, pink jewels of some type of glittering stone dotted the collar.

"Thanks," she said, smiling. But it had vanished immediately. "Apollo, I think I'll just get this out in the air, so please don't be angry."

"Shoot for it," I said with a shrug.

"I'm in love with someone," she sighed and took out her phone, I scowled. "It is a bit complicated, my mother hates him because, well, he's not that pretty and he isn't you..."

I chuckled. "I'm angry how?"

Her eyes widened. "So you don't care? My mother made it out like you were in love with me," she said and broke into a giggle. "Then again, she likes to overexaggerate - anyway, this is my N, he hates his name so I call him that."

She brandished a picture of N. I had to admit, she was right he wasn't a sight for sore eyes. But he had a fresh face, dark hair and bronze skin which was easily likeable. He sat cross-leg near a robot with a remote in his hands.

"He's the president of the bot club at our school, Griffin Academy" she said, admiringly. "He is just so smart and so sweet - but he's not rich and my mom isn't a fan of that. He got in our school on a scholarship, you see."

I flicked up my eyebrows. "You don't say?"

"He's also on the soccer team, and we met when he kicked the soccerball at my head on accident," she said with a nod. "He gave me a concussion, but he felt so bad, he carried me to the nurse, it's basically how we met."

"Er... congratulations."

"Have you met anyone?" April asked, leaning into her hand. "Someone you like?"

November flashed across my mind by then. "I'm not one for talking about a love life," I said with a laugh. "I don't have a girlfriend."

April's mouth twitched into a smile. "I can sense some hesitation," she said, a row of perfect teeth flashed. "You're a terrible liar Apollo, I didn't even think you lied."

"I'm not lying," I said firmly. "There is no girl for me."

She sighed and leaned back. "Fine, no fun."

"Might we get out of here?" I asked, it was getting more awkward just by the second.

"I... I think I'll walk," April said, setting her phone in the table. "Look, by the way you talk, it doesn't seem like you want to be here and neither do I. My mom expects something out of this. If she, or any of my neighbors, see us as of this night, then we'll have to pass as dating. I don't want that, do you?"

"Not really no," I said with a shake of my head. "But I can't let you walk all my yourself? My mom would murder me."

"Let me take your car then," April said diligently. "We got into a fight because you started mocking me, you decided to use the bathroom, and you left your key - "

"Wait a minute," I narrowed my eyes. "Why am I the bad guy?"

"I came up with the idea, duh," April said, shaking her head as if it were obvious. "Anyway, you left your keys on the table, I stole them in rage, and drove home with your car."

I surpressed a snort. Her idea had to have been the stupidest thing I've ever heard... And the worst part was, I couldn't believe I was going to do it.

LATER...

I kicked an empty beer can toward the just as empty road. Cars parked along the streets, dead as can be, while the stop sign hung crooked on a corner by the end of the street. I had never been in this part of East Clove before, and I wasn't sure I liked it anyway.

My hands stuffed into the pockets of my jeans, but I felt the absence of my cigarettes far more prominently than before. My fingers ached to hold one, to light it up with satisfaction. But the anxiety pressuring in the cavity of my chest had dominated that desire with guilt.

Guilt for what, I had no clue.

My thoughts where answered when I past a beauty salon, the lights dim and the open sign which normally blinked red held no glow. Past it held such the face I often sought for within crowds.

A chipped pink sign read Spiced Chai Café and brandished beneath double pink doors. The open market blinked as well as the open 24/7 sign below.

Her kinky hair was thrown into a bun and an apron string around her waist with that beauty queen smile painted across her stunning features.

Instead of the agonizing detoré home, I headed for the café.

_

_

AUTHORS NOTE.
Hey guys, I know, I know what you are thinking: this chapter is rushed like the water spilling over Niagara Falls. But I've been really busy as of late and it would be appreciated if I got a little slack.

Thanks for your support.

- Noel