Chapter 38

Carina never got to touch Draco or even use a curse or hex on him. She was kept an by Theodore and Roman, and of course Harry and Hermione. They made sure that whenever Carina even thinks of casting a spell at Draco, they'd be there to stop her, she didn't need another detention with Umbridge. To keep her preoccupied, Hermione dragged Carina to Hagrid's hut to warn him about Umbridge and her inspections on teachers, but their warnings did not seem to give the giant man any worry or to have him change his way of teaching just for the woman.

At Tuesday, the Gryffindors and Slytherins came walking through the snow towards Hagrid's hut. Carina had walked beside Roman and Theodore, and away from the hoard of Slytherins as they approached Hagrid at the edge of the forest.

"We're workin' in here today!" Hagrid said happily. "Bit more sheltered! Anyway, they prefer the dark..."

"What prefers the dark?" Draco asked sharply.

"Scared, Mafloy?" Carina sent her cousin a teasing smirk as she passed him.

"Am not." Draco sneered.

They followed Hagrid into the forest. Carina's smirk widened at the sight of Draco scared. After the Quidditch match, anything that made Draco uncomfortable or at least scared brought joy to her, ten times than usual.

"Ready? Right, well, I've bin savin' a trip inter the forest fer yer fifth year. Thought we'd go an' see these creatures in their natural habitat. Now, what we're studyin' today is pretty rare, I reckon I'm probably the on'y person in Britain who's managed ter train' em –" Hagrid said.

"And you're sure they're trained, are you?" Draco asked, a panic in his voice even more heard. "Only, it wouldn't be the first time you 'd brought wild stuff to the class, would it?"

"Shut up, Malfoy, or you're going to get it." Carina muttered.

"'Course they're trained." Hagrid said. "Now, if yer finised askin' stupid questions, follow me!"

They walked for about ten minutes until they reached a place where the trees stood so closely together that it was dark, and there was no snow on the ground at all. Hagrid turned to face his class again, most of whom were creeping towards him from tree to tree.

"Gather roun'. Now, they'll be attracted by the smell o' the meat but I'm goin' ter give 'em a call anyway, 'cause they'll like ter know it's me..." Hagrid said.

He turned, shook his shaggy head and let out an odd, shrieking cry that echoed through the dark. The students jumped in fear and had huddled together in fear of what was going to come out. Hagrid gave another shriek. Nothing came out of the forest.

Carina had a confused look as to what they were supposed to be looking for, she was going to ask what Hagrid was smiling at before him but Theodore spoke.

"I see them." He said glumly.

"What?" Carina asked.

"Oh, an' here comes another one!" Hagrid said proudly. "Now, put yer hands up if you can see them."

Harry was the first to raise his hand then Neville and Theodore. Which shocked almost all the Slytherins and Carina. Hagrid then pointed at the flesh of cow he brought with them and saw its flesh being torn. Lavender let out a squeal of fear, whilst Parvati jumped when she felt something beside her.

"What are we looking at?" Carina asked.

"Threstrals." Theodore spoke out.

Eyes turned to Theodore, shocked to hear the quiet Slytherin speak up.