Chapter 18: Vision

Start from the beginning

I nod wordlessly, my vision beginning to cloud with yellow spots. As soon as our surroundings become bright enough to see by, I let the flame go out. I'm ready to fall into another coma for a week. My entire body hurts like I've been pummeled with knuckle dusters. Anxiety isn't the only thing gnawing at my stomach: there's hunger, ravenous and panging. I want to curl up on the floor and lie there. But no. Ren first.

Needless to say, our search so far has proven fruitless. It seems as if Ren has completely vanished without a trace. We didn't even find evidence of where she might've been.

Our search of the remaining area takes us until sunrise. Nothing. We're both exhausted and starving, and we don't have much choice but to return to camp and try again.

Cass is crestfallen. The entire expedition was to prove to herself that Ren is fine, would be fine and that her entire show last night was exactly that; just a show. I'm sure she's realized the opposite is true. I remember the exact moment; back turned to me, shoulders shaking in silent sobs.

When we're in visible proximity to camp, Dani comes rushing out to meet us. " What the..." her words die in her throat as she nears us. She stares at me.

I stare back. "What? Is something wrong?"

"Come with me. You too Andersen." She hobbles off to the infirmary. We follow, not far behind. Dani tells us to sit down and procedes to hook me up to an IV. That's when I start getting concerned. We don't have many medical supplies, and Dani wouldn't use anything unless something was wrong.

"Dani? What's–"

She holds her finger up, signalling silence. She checks both of us thoroughly for injuries before she lets any of us speak.

"What the hell is this for?" I finally ask, holding up my arm attached to the IV.

"Do you know what I saw when I looked at you Harley?" she asks, leaning forward. "You were going to collapse. I could feel it."

"Dani, maybe you're wrong. I was fine. Am fine. Just tired–"

"And hungry. Have you been eating properly?"

Now I'm just about ready to hide in embarrassment. Yes, I'm hungry all the time, more than usual, but is she really asking me this? "Yeah, Dani. All the rations I'm allowed." I'd try to eat less to make the food last longer until we have a reliable food source here, but I can't. The hunger becomes too much and I give in, eating what I can to keep it at bay.

Dani sighs. "That's the problem. You, Quinn, Ira... Ren. None of you are eating enough to keep yourselves healthy. And yet you eat all the food you're allowed. "

"So..."  Cass looks at me like I'm an idiot and the answer is floating in front of me. But she says nothing.

"I'm starting to think that some of you have increased metabolisms. You'll al need to eat more, especially with frequent use of your abilities."

By now, I'm almost mad. Ren is missing, sick and possibly hurt. And Dani's concerned about us eating more? I rack up the nerve to complain to Dani pretty easily.

"Don't remind me about that," she says, finger in the air. "Just because Ren runs off, doesn't mean you can too. We have rules. Don't think we've forgotten about your little escapade. What you did was stupid and reckless, and I bet it didn't get you anywhere either. Quinn will be dealing with you after I'm done with you."

"And what do you want us to do?" I'm not scared of Dani, pr Quinn for that matter, but I'm not particularly eager to face their repercussions.

Dani stares at Cass for a few seconds before talking. "Cass, you can go to Quinn right now."