Chapter 3 - "Do you ever want to be more?"

Start from the beginning

"Huck, haven't you ever wanted better? Did you ever think that there was more than living from day to day, meal to meal? Have you ever wanted to talk ideas with someone?"

"Gigi, you know I don't care for books."

Gigi unwrapped her arms and crossed her legs.

"I'm talking about a better society, Huck."

He frowned.

"I don't see what's wrong with our's."

"It's mundane."

"It's simple."

"It's boring."

Huck was silent as he looked away from her, his expression clouded. Gigi sighed, resting her head in her hand.

"You really believe the society your grandparents keep is better?" he said, looking at her. "Their lot are a load of scoundrels."

"People believe we're scoundrels."

"The difference being we're not. They are."

Gigi sighed and turned away. One hand fell to the sand, her fingers carving paths into the damp surface.

"Gigi, why?"

They looked at each other, confusion butting up against determination.

"I want the chance to see what it's like," she said. The corner of her mouth curved. "You afraid I'll run away?"

Huck scoffed, his manner relaxing.

"I don't see where you could run away to. We're vagabonds. The lowest there is. Or so we are told," he said, his tone petulant. 

Gigi shifted to face him, her expression thoughtful.

"And you've never wanted to be more than the lowest?"

"No. I live by no rules but my own."

He smirked, his blue eyes snapping with a mischievous glint.  

"Your's and the King's," she said.

Huck shrugged off the comment, as if it were a dead leaf to be tossed away. 

"His rules have very little effect on my life. Don't steal and don't murder. I'm in the clear."

Gigi made no reply, her focus shifting back to the waves. The last rays of the sun reached just above the horizon, like fingers grasping for a hand hold, about to be pulled down. Huck kicked aside a seashell, then looked to Gigi.

"Are you really going?" Huck asked.

Gigi didn't meet his gaze, her focus lost on the water and the sun's final battle with the night.

"You heard my father."

"Yeah, I did. But I know his mind can be changed."

Gigi didn't respond, but a smile creased her lips. The sun vanished in a flash of light, leaving behind a blanket of dark blue. Eventually Huck stood, stretching out a hand to Gigi. She grasped it and he pulled her up. They moved back to the forest, hands reaching out to brush against rough bark as they picked their way through in the dim light.

Warmth poured out of the camp, fires roaring like beacons of camaraderie. Huck broke away with a single nod and a troubled expression. Greetings followed Gigi, her spoken echoes falling behind her, as she found her way to her father.

He sat on a broken log, his face glowing before a fire. The flames crackled and popped in the night air. Sparks leapt free and raced towards the stars. He looked up as she approached, his thoughts tumbling in his eyes. Gigi settled on the grass beside him, resting her head against his knee. He smelled of wood smoke, hay and dust. One large, gentle hand stroked her hair.

"You have come to convince me to change my mind," her father said.

She didn't answer for a long moment. Then she shifted, looking up at the weather worn face, her hands resting on his knee.

"I know that you don't want me to go. I know that you don't want mother to go either. But this is something she has to do, just like I have to."

Loving blue eyes stared back at her. Years seem to settle into his features as he looked at her.

"Gigi..." his tone was low and sorrowful.

"Father, you have to understand. I've never met my grandparents. Don't I deserve the chance to meet them at least once?" she said, her tone strong but quiet.

They studied each other for a long moment.

"I'm your daughter, you won't lose me."

Quinn was silent as he placed one callused hand on top of her's. He let out a tired breath.

"The life they lead can seem enchanting. I don't wish for you to be carried away by a fantasy that isn't real."

"I know that. But can't you trust me to see the difference?"

Her father gave a weary sigh. He stared into the flames, his face riddled with indecision. Gigi waited, her heart thumping against her ribs. He cupped her face in his hands, the barest hint of a smile peeking out.

"My beautiful girl," he whispered.

Gigi covered his hands with her own. Quinn's shoulders relaxed.

"Yes, I can. But that doesn't mean I wish you would still stay."

Gigi's heart jumped into her throat and her lungs ceased to work.

"I can go?" she asked, her voice barely rising above a whisper.

Quinn paused, his gaze holding her with a quiet intensity. He dropped his hands away, holding her's in his firm grasp.

"You can go."

Gigi flung her arms around her father's neck, laughing with delight. She kissed his cheek.

"Thank you!"

"Promise me you'll be wise."

Gigi tightened her grip around his neck.

"I will! I promise!"

**********************************************************************

How does the wind blow?

Okay, yeah I have no idea what I just said, I ran out of fantasy sounding greetings and that's all that came to mind. Feel free to ignore me, you would not be the first.

I'm not going to lie to you, I'm an odd noodle and don't know if these author's notes should be different from my other book's author's notes because it's a fantasy-ish type book. But let's face it, my oddities really don't improve and I don't know how to change them. Any ideas?

Paper bags over the head are stifling. Hiding in a cardboard box is difficult because it really doesn't stand any sort of weather. And damp cardboard just smells weird. See! I told you I'm an odd noodle. I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. 🙈

*Throws out a question to divert your attention*

Dragon or unicorn?

That's a fantasy type question, right?

Also who do you think Jayis is?

Don't even bother voting, commenting, or following, I'm way too weird to show any sort of support for. It just might mean I continuing talking and really who wants that? 😉